1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I start my Prius 2007 with only the matal key?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Arif Ahmed, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Arif Ahmed

Arif Ahmed New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wondering. If my key FOB is dead (could be water damage, broken PCB, etc.) Am I able to start and drive my prius with just my metal key?

I have a 2007 Prius in New Zealand. The logo on the key FOB is black.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think what matters is, is the PCB on the key fob still intact? If its intact, even though it's broken, you could still start and drive the car. The only problem you might ha e is the remote key won't be able to operate an d lock/unlock the doors. But you could use the mechanical part of the key to perform those functions.

I think it should be cheap getting another key off eBay, and get it programmed.

Dxta

Arif Ahmed likes this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In a word, no. Where would you put it? There is no ignition switch.

The good news is, the RFID chip that starts the car does not require power from a battery, it uses induction power from the chip reader, much the same way a Snapper or HOP card (transit cards) works. The RFID chip is sealed, so should not be affected by a soaking in liquid. Just make sure the key FOB is dried out before use, so you don't contaminate the FOB holder receptacle.

m.wynn and Arif Ahmed like this.
  4. Arif Ahmed

Arif Ahmed New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very interesting. Thanks for the input.