1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I Swap the Radio/CD Changer and Display with Similar Units?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Michael Crestohl, Oct 21, 2022.

1. Michael Crestohl

Michael Crestohl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello, me again…..

I want to swap the radio/CD changer as well as the multi-function display (I believe this is what it is called) with similar units from my other 2007 Prius (they are cleaner) but have a couple questions and concerns.

Can I just swap them and expect them to function normally or am I asking for trouble? Do either of these two units need to be “recognized” by the car’s computer or controller systems? I believe the units are both exactly the same inasmuch as they both come from 2007 Priuses (Prii?). The multi-function displays are both GPS/navigation displays. I really need the ability to play MP 3 and WMA files which I believe one user lostbwhen he attempted to do exactly this.

This is all new to me. I am well used to working on more conventional vehicles like my 2001 Miata and my 2010 Crown Vic, both with a bare minimum of electronic gadgetry so I pretty much know what I am doing. However the Prius is still pretty much uncharted territory tomme and I am ever so grateful to this site and to all of you who share your knowledge and experience so freely with me. Rest assured that I am also a giver in the areas where I have the knowledge and experience such as miata.net, airforums.com and crownvic.net and others too. One day soon I hope to be able to do this here as well.

Thanks again for all the knowledge and experience.

Sincerely,

Michael

#1 Michael Crestohl, Oct 21, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The GPS has a part that goes under one of the seats too maybe it's a CD type drive or something just for the nav system so I think you need to have that to make that work and it's also got the plug up to the right MFD which I don't think has a lot to do with the stereo I think I could take my WMA unit out from my '09 and put it in an '07 I don't think it will go in the '06 and down car but that's not the discussion here. Some of the stereos and MFDs have different plugs and different numbers. The numbers don't worry me The plug pin counts would. So that big white plug that goes to the back of the stereo or the few smaller plugs will need places on the WMA unit to be inserted I think in the '07 up cars these plugs are there and buy whatever you bought at the time of purchase upgraded stereo nav system whatever comes in the car If you buy those things dealer installed the plugs are already in the system you're just paying for the electronic units themselves and the time it takes the plug and screw them in. Or at least that's how it's been on most of my Toyota models since the late '80s when Toyota started building cars like a lot of other people and the plugs are all just there what you have those plugs inserted to was gauged by the trim level you bought.