1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can i use '05 smart key on an '08?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by A Former Member 2, Feb 20, 2009.

1. A Former Member 2

A Former Member 2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  2. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unlikely. From what I understand no dealer can program a used fob to work on an SKS (silver logo on the back) system.

3. A Former Member 2

A Former Member 2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    really? my understanding is any dealer can for a fee, up to 4 remotes...

4. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, it is possible to have 4 remotes programmed for one car but getting a USED silver logo remote to be fully functional is almost impossible. As far as I know nobody has ever gotten a used silver logo remote to work.

5. easted

easted Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with jelloslug. I purchased 3 2004 to 2008 fobs on ebay, and four different dealers in Pa. and Fl.could not program the silver logo fobs as smart key or remote door unlocking. they were able to program them as starting the car by inserting the fob in the immobilizer slot, ( there are a whole bunch of posts/threads on this site on how you can do your own programing to use fobs as a slot starter. Just search for programming sks fob.) None of them were able to tell me why this could not be
    done.

easted

6. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I also have a used silver logo fob also and I was able to get it to work in the slot to start the car but that was it. A new fob is only about $130 and programing it should be no more that $50.