1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I use 2 types of fobs on same car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by WFBowen, Jul 4, 2018.

1. WFBowen

WFBowen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello All
    I recently damaged one of my 2 original fobs - silver logo. My question is can I purchase (and program) a “black logo” fob and use it as a “dumb” fob? I have always kept SKS function switched off and have no intention of using that feature.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It can be programmed to start the car from the key slot (you could just move the RFID chip from the damaged fob), but it will not be able to lock/unlock the doors. If it is only the case that is damaged, you can find replacement cases.

JC91006 likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How did you damage the key fob? Most times it'll still work in the key slot.

A new keyfob only costs around $110 on Amazon and you can program it yourself. Well worth the price compared to a used black logo, which will usually run around $50

If you have AAA plus or higher, AAA will pay for "lost key replacement". Almost free in some cases.....If you lose your keys. So all you have to do is drop it while walking

Raytheeagle and ITBland like this.
  4. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    JC91006 likes this.
  5. WFBowen

WFBowen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for replies.
    @ITBland The fob is beyond repair.
    @JC91006 Never thought of that. I’ll give it a try since I have some kind of upmarket
    AAA service.
    Happy 4th
    Bill

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If all you want is a really dumb fob, take the broken one apart. The mechanical key will lock/unlock the door. The transponder chip will allow you to start the car. Just insert it into the keyslot. Or tape it to a popcsicle stick. Put the chip on the bottom of the slot, about 2/3 of the way in. Note that you'll have to unlock the slot when you turn the car off - just press your finger in the slot. The circuit board will work without the case if you tape the battery down.

Note that a black logo fob can only be programmed for the fob-in-slot function on a silver logo car. The buttons and keyless start will not work.

ITBland likes this.
  7. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :ROFLMAO:
    Popsicle.JPG