1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I use an unactivated phone to update my telephone book via bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by RandyF79, Apr 12, 2008.

1. RandyF79

RandyF79 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Here's my situation. My old Sony Ericsson phone (that I no longer used as a phone) has died. It was compatible with my 2004 Prius for updating the telephone book via bluetooth.

My current phone connects, but won't update the phone book.

I've found that the Sony Ericsson Z310a is compatible. I can buy one via eBay. However, I don't want to use it as my personal cell phone...just a device to update the Prius.

Is this possible or do I have to have an 'activated' phone...meaning that it can operate as a cell phone on some commercial network?

Thanks!
    :)

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bluetooth runs only between your phone and the car, so no activation is required. It is possible that a cell phone company can lock a phone so that it will not function at all without their SIM, so make sure you get an unlocked phone.

Tom

3. RandyF79

RandyF79 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks, Tom.

So to clarify...doesn't require a sim card from a telephone carrier...it will work just as a stand-alone bluetooth device...out of the box.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That depends on the phone, and whether it was locked by the cell phone provider. Even if it does need a SIM, unless it's a locked phone, you can use the SIM from your existing phone.

Tom

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it works fine. Indeed if you can get your hands on one of the phones that will transmit your entire phone book at once it would be worth a few bucks to keep it around in case you need to reprogram later. One by one is a PITA!