1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I use CTEK 4.3 Fully Automatic Charger to charge 12 V 5Ah battery?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Sanjay Goel, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

Since last few days there is a warning light lit up on our home security keypads. Upon calling the security company they diagnosed it and say that the small Enercell 12 VC 5Ah battery that is connected with the security system needs to be replaced.

My understanding is that the security systems wireless transmitter is primarily connected with the home electricity and that this battery is used only for backup in times of power failure etc. Is this understanding correct?

They asked for something like $50 (my wife says I misheard and that they actually said $25 or so) for sending a new battery. In our previous home we had the security from the same company and in almost 7 years we never had to replace the battery. So why do we have to replace the battery in just over 2 years in this home?

If anyone knows please provide answers.

Before replacing with a new battery, can I use the (CTEK (56-959) MUS 4.3 TEST&CHARGE 12 Volt Fully Automatic Charger and Tester) to charge this battery. According to the charger manual it can also be used to charge motorcycle batteries.

Thank you for your consideration and help.

Hare Krishna!
    Sridhara-syama dasa

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is it a rechargeable battery?

xliderider and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also, check Amazon and other national battery sellers for replacement batteries. They may have the same or comparable batteries for less than the security company's inflated price.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Consider upgrading to a home back-up power supply for your computer and if possible wiring the alarm back up battery needs into that... That's because 5ah is a really weak, bordering on pathetic. The most popular home backup computer power supply is about $140 and is 12v 55ah.

If you're in a situation where your alarm system loses power and needs to run on back up, it'll last mere hours, but by upgrading the system you'll still have it lasting for days, as well as limited power for your computer or some LED lighting.

As for re-charging, any trickle charger or the smart charger you mentioned is fine, but the alarm system already has a way to keep the 12v charged and the junk battery the system is using is no longer working...

5. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your responses guys. As PriusCamper mentions above and confirmed by the security company - the battery is not holding a charge anymore and has gone bad and needs to be replaced.

At this point in time I am not looking for upgrading and just ordered a replacement from Amazon as the local Radio Shack and Batteries Plus prices are more than that - almost double.

Hare Krishna!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hare hare!

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Be sure to read the directions with the new one.
    It may need to have the acid installed inside the case.......and then be charged before using.
    And yes, the charger you have should work for that.

P.S. It is possible that the alarm equipment has malfunctioned and will not keep the battery charged anymore.
    Do you have a voltmeter ?

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Alarm system system aside, I'm an big advocate of everyone spending a tiny amount of money on a battery, a solar panel, a control box and some LED lights... Once you have that, you can slowly upgrade each component until you no longer spend very much money on your electric bill / dirty energy that causes a huge amount of waste traveling the wires to your home.

Besides, Lord Krishna and all his happy loving worshippers can create a better more clean air future that way!

9. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point Sam. Yes, I do have a decent voltmeter purchased when I was trying to install the harness on then recently purchased HiHy this January. I suppose the next steps should be

a. To remove the battery from the control panel,
    b. check the voltage of the battery
    c. put it on charging with the CTEK charger and see what it tells about the condition of the battery.
    d. check the status of battery after a few hours of charging or when the charger says done..
    e. leave the battery for a few hours and then check the voltage again to see if it is holding charge or not....

Please add anything I might have missed...

Hare Krishna!

10. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @PriusCamper
    I am surprised that some of you guys know something of Hare Krishna / Lord Krishna! (y)

Boy! Now we are talking of deeper things - akin to philosophy... should be cautious when bringing up philosophy with a Hare Krishna :sneaky: - we thrive on that...
    That being said I wish it was this easy to fix problems in this world. Rather than belabor the hows and whys of this is so... I will just leave you all with this - most (if not all) problems of the world were manifest due to a certain mindset of the people. With the same mindset, it is not possible to solve these problems... A completely different mindset is needed. Else, the attempt to solve one problem only ends up creating 5 more problems - though that may take a long time to become apparent. And even then it becomes apparent only to those who study such topics and look at the data with an impartial mind. For the rest of 99% of the population, they give a hoot to such issues - being fully immersed in the 4 basic activities that are common between humans and animals viz., eating, sleeping, mating and defending :)

The malady is actually much deeper than anyone other than the Hare Krishnas understand.... and unless the solution is implemented at the same level of depth, there is no possibility of cure. Sometimes things may look up for a short time - but the long term results belie the solution.

Hare Krishna!

#10 Sanjay Goel, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    PriusCamper likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hare, hare!:)

PriusCamper likes this.
  12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Totally agree with everything you said, except this one part above... There is no need to use dogma to defend or exclusify your territory. The gift of kindness and love towards all beings and the wisdom that leads you there is a universal understanding that is communicated in most of the world's religions and non-western philosophies.

I suspect that you can increase your capacity for love and kindness even more if you don't fall into the incredibly destructive and harmful, my religion is better than the religion of others routine. All religions have something of value to teach. There is no one religion that is better than the other, millions and millions all throughout history and even right now at this moment have and are still being slaughtered because of this incorrect "our group is the only correct religion" view.

13. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't (and don't) expect that part to be understood anyway... hence I don't feel upset about your being upset :cool:.

The thing is, Krsna consciousness (or Hare Krishna as generally known) is NOT a religion. I come across this almost on a weekly basis on my sojourns to the Texas state prisons every weekend where folks meeting / seeing me for the first time ask - what do you guys believe in?

Many years ago when I was first asked this question, it stumped me some - because I didn't really believe in anything. After some introspection I started responding by saying - there is only one thing I believe in, and that is "in not believing in anything". Always trying to understand and see facts and figures and experiences gained by experiments etc etc....

There is a book we have with the title "The Science of Self-Realization" - I get similar questions on that too ... I need to run now... but later in the day as I find time I will try to explain how / why something so nebulous can be called "science." Stay tuned...

Hare Krishna!

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the beatles went through this phase, hare, hare!

15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wasn't upset in the slightest until you projected your negativity on me and told me I was upset... And the word religion is a very general term... I could of said spiritual growth, self-realization or any other number of other terms, but rather than harmonize in love and spiritual growth you're more interested in using your negative dogma to make Krishna consciousness to be beyond "religion" / superior and something you have to get others to accept as if that is helpful to others.

To be clear I've been studying personal growth, spiritual growth, self-realization, religions and even cults since I was a small child and I can never get enough of it because each one has something of deep and meaningful value to offer. But in the context of this conversation you're basically trying to force your narrow-minded dogma on me rather than simply embracing love and joy. Just chill out and please don't try to convert me, or do manipulative cult-like indoctrination moves on me, that's the exact opposite of self-realization.

16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Other insects too... As well as the birds that eat the insects... It's all one bro...

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    circle of life

PriusCamper likes this.
  18. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn’t Fred’s house of pancakes for religious and political stuff?

19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just replace and move on. Some locations have more power outages than others, some alarm systems, and even battery backups (UPS), do more self tests than others, which contribute to the batteries failing quicker.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    freds house of politics. i'm not even sure religion is allowed there