1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can leaking battery last 20,000 miles before death???

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Allan, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Allan

Allan New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Dear PriusChatters...

The major issue in my case against Toyota and the Dealership is the Gen 1 battery, which was recalled at 40,000 for leakage "preventive seal" placement, and began to weaken before the warranty expired. Symptoms reported over time to the dealership included not regularly turning off when stopped, 10 mpg loss in miles/gallon, less power, etc. However, the dealership refused to replace the battery, even when all the warning lights came on WHILE STILL UNDER WARRANTY (said they put on a new Engine Control Module--from Tech Service Bulletin EG011-03-- after pulling codes P3191 and P3101, and Engine System Malfunction w/Info Code 205). Though all the warning lights went off, the symptoms continued and 20,000 miles later the same lights came on and finally they acknowledged the bad battery.

My question to those of you who are understand these things is whether a battery can weaken and show the above symptoms over a 20,000 plus mile range...or whether a battery that shows signs of going bad will go bad in a matter of a few thousand miles. The Dealership is maintaining that a battery that shows signs of going bad will go down rapidly, and not over time. What are your thoughts and experiences? Is there anything written on this subject that I can research and use in my case? Please include your experience with Prii in your responses, so I can tell who is a techie/mechanic and who is just an owner, like myself. Also, I am compiling a list of owners names, addresses, and emails who experienced battery problems while under warranty, whose batteries finally failed after the original warranty expired, and had to pay for the repairs themselves rather than have the Limited Extended Warranty (on failures that were reported or worked on prior to 8 yrs/100,000 mi) apply.

Thanks for your help!

Allan

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The traction battery in my 2001 failed in 2006 at 61K miles and was replaced under warranty. DTC P3006, SOC uneven. This happened "overnight": one day the car was fine, the next the dashboard was like a Christmas tree, mpg was in the low 30's, and the engine ran whenever the accelerator pedal was depressed.

Also, the traction battery in my HiHy failed at 27K miles, in 2007 and was also replaced under warranty. DTC P0A80. As with the 2001, the fault happened without prior warning or driveability symptoms. Hence, my personal experience would support your dealer's assertion that a bad traction battery will rapidly fail.

Given that your car had the engine no-start and low power codes, P3191 and P3101, it was appropriate for your dealer to apply TSB EG011-03. By the way, that TSB was recently replaced with another (see below link) and the current technical advice is to 1) check fuel line pressure and 2) clean the throttle body interior and throttle plate. The engine ECU no longer is recommended for replacement.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/generat...0-09-copy-sought-p3191-p3101-error-codes.html

4. Allan

Allan New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Hi Rob,

The battery has already been replaced...I tried to view the battery after it was taken out and the dealer refused to remove the cover!

I was at Luscious speaking with mechanic John today, and he was excellent in providing information, including that the dealer should have not relied only on the codes pulled, but should have done a direct battery check.

Allan

5. Allan

Allan New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Thanks, Pat, for your comments. The no start and low power codes didn't deal directly with the problems I was experiencing. The main issues were the declining battery symptoms of extra charging, failing auto shutoff when stopped, and substantially reduced mileage. The new ECM didn't deal with the symptoms either, only ended up making the lights go off...until the battery reached the threshhold of turning on the lights again. Also, it's interesting that the dealer refused to directly check my battery earlier, due to the proper codes not coming up in the scan. Also, the dealer refused to let me see the battery after in was removed, claiming they must leave the cover on...

Allan