1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN messages and Display Input?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by molain, Apr 15, 2007.

1. molain

molain Junior Member

My second MFD just gave out after my dealer was kind enough to replace the first one for free at 38k miles. So, rather than spend several thousands of dollars to fix the damn thing again, I would rather put my own CAN device on the bus and hack it into the existing display, to make my own Prius UI. I've seen the CAN-view, but I think I'd prefer to make a full carputer with iTunes and the like.

Does anyone know where I can find a complete listing of (known?) CAN messages for the Prius? Without the factory MFD, I'll need my own way to control audio, climate, etc. Being able to monitor the status of the car (trip info) would also be nice, but it's less critical.

I also would like to find a relatively inexpensive way to connect a video signal to the Prius display, so I don't have to buy a new touch screen.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    -Ben

P.S. Are there any safeguards against accidentally sending bad CAN messages (e.g. "full throttle!")? Like, is the MFD on a separate bus from the ECU?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molain @ Apr 15 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]423697[/snapback]</div>
    Bummer on your second MFD....
    Here's THE source for what we know/have on the Prius CAN data....
    http://www.vassfamily.net/ToyotaPrius/CAN/cindex.html

good luck, this seems like a huge project.