1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can not change to EV mode right now

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MariaEvri, May 4, 2009.

1. MariaEvri

MariaEvri Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Uusally I get this mesage when the battery is too low, or when the engine is on (warming up I guess??)
    But today (and yesterday once) I kept giving me this message, even though the battery was almost full, the engine was off and I was moving at extreme low speed. I also tried when the car was still but it still gave me this answer. It did let me use the EVV mode once but most of the time it gave me that message. Enyone knows whats up?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EV will be denied if the battery is too full, just as it will if it's too low.
    EV will be denied if the battery temp is too high or too low (not sure the exact temps).
    EV will be denied at a few other, as yet undefined, times. This happens to me as well and sometimes I'm at a complete loss as to why, but I just satisfy myself that some smart engineer decided that EV would be a bad idea for some reason and programmed it to prevent me from damaging the car.

3. MariaEvri

MariaEvri Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the asnwer. I dont think it is because of reason one, since I tried to use the EV mode when the battery was two lines to full, and then when it was half full/
    I'm thinking maybe it was reason two.. can the battery be affected by environment temperature? It was very hot today

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not so much environmental temperatures as it is the engine, battery, or inverter temps. Even with the AC on during a high demand time you may see EV denied.

Long and short, don't sweat it. Nothing is wrong, the car's just doing it's job by keeping you from doing something you shouldn't.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is an ambient temperature limit. I speculated about this a few years back and Ken confirmed it.

6. MariaEvri

MariaEvri Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    alright thanks
    Its the first time this happened to me, but then again Ive had the car for only 5 months. Good to hear my little Jazz is taking care of himself.