1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can somebody help me feel better? I think i'm having buyers remorse. ):

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by That_Prius_Car, Aug 2, 2010.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, i've been thinking lately, and I really miss my 2007 Driftwood Pearl package 2, Prius. ): Here's the reasons why:

**PROS**
    *Pulse & Glide was so easy, mostly the Glide.
    *The large Energy Monitor was flashy, and cool.
    *Looks a little more aerodynamic and futuristic.
    *Had 55,000 miles and rode like a dream, and even had the new car smell.
    *I didn't really get to drive her and get as much use out of her like I wanted.

**CONS**
    *Package said it had VSC, but it didn't. Trust me.
    *Sometimes hard to keep in EV if you don't know the right spots.
    *The glare of the speedometer at night on the windscreen.

Now for my 2010 Prius outlooks.

**PROS**
    *EV, ECO, & PWR are cool.
    *Easier to keep in EV with the HSI.
    *Higher quality feeling. (Lexus)
    *Touch tracer display.

**CONS**
    *Loud A/C compressor compared to the Gen.II.
    *CAN'T pulse and glide.
    *The crappiest, most "out of date" energy monitor.
    *Bluetooth isn't as good as the Gen.II.

I like my 2010...to a point, and Brad keeps trying to make me feel better by telling me that its safer, and cooler ect. Can you guys ease my pain? Maybe tell me stuff that might make me feel better about my 2010?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This would've been the perfect time for me to fish out my Prius NCF... unfortunately, it's on another computer to which I have no access at this point in time... so I'll have to do it from memory...

• You can P&G but it won't be exact (we're talking very small amounts of regen or battery power at the "0" line on the HSI)
    • I think the dash is nicer. It doesn't flex like the Gen 2's dashboard (soft touch would be even nicer)
    • All the safety stuff is standard, including some new items (7 airbags, TRAC, S-VSC, ABS w/ EBD, Brake Assist, Active Front Headrests
    • Better mpg (all else being equal)
    • Better front seats (imo... they're just right on the Gen 2 but they're better padded on the Gen 3 imo)
    • Larger cargo area (it's 2.2 inches wider and there's more height underneath the tonneau cover)
    • Better low beam projector headlights with separate high beams
    • LED taillights (88% reduction in energy consumption)
    • touch sensor SKS
    • more solidly built doors (my driver's door armrest is cracked)
    • height adjustable driver's seat
    • no more bladder
    • faster warm-up times (~1 min faster at 0°C/32°F)
    • A tad quieter engine at full throttle
    • smaller, lighter inverter
    • smaller, lighter electric motors
    • more aerodynamic
    • better JBL audio (again, imo)

1 person likes this.
  3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Gen3 projector headlights are superior to the reflector ones in Gen2.

I like Gen3 black rear spoiler.

1 person likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No coolant thermos...

Uh, are you commited to buying new?

If you can afford new, then a Certified Used would be possible. I've even found myself thinking about it, as locally a lot of nice Gen 2's are showing up on lots, and since they are now considered 2nd generation IMO good deals can be found.

Ooops Really, Really sorry...you've already purchased the 2010.

Well don't feel bad. It's still a Prius. Looking at your list? I'm thinking you will adjust and learn to appreciate the differences and improvements.

All the mentioned benefits exist.

Give yourself some time.

If you still feel the same way in 3 months? Honestly? Not even a car purchase is written in stone.

1 person likes this.
  5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh, about to spend $200 again on another 2nd Gen Prius foam cushion to *try* to make the driver's seat tolerable. Guess I should have just bought the Volvo seat and ask that dude how to hook 'em up...

or waited a year or so for the 3rd Gen.

More comfortable sitting in my 1988 pickup than my $30k 2009 Prius :rolleyes: .. except truck drives like *&^%.

Your 3rd Gen, as a car, is a better all-around, more solid machine. The 3rd Gen car chassis is more correctly designed with the roof peak moved back a bit. This gives more front seat room due to B pillar moved back. The 2nd Gen Prius left too much legroom in the rear, screwing front seat occupants. 2nd Gen was a good try, but a little off. You have more power, more space and slightly better fuel economy, the things that count an awful lot in my book.

1 person likes this.
  6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Brad has a SR III? I thought he had a V with ATP and the two of you even tested the PCS?

7. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have three now. :)

8. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My opinion? GIII handles much better than GII; less susceptible to crosswinds, better suspension. Also, and I know this doesn't apply in your case, but it's available w/ a lumbar support in higher trims--a deal maker for me.

Anything expensive I've ever bought, I've had buyer's remorse to an extent. It usually goes away. Hope so in your case, too!
    ~T

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    pulse and glide is a limitation of the gen 2 monitoring system, not the gen 3's capability. there is no free lunch. if the car is on, its either making power or using it. the gen 3 has a much better gauge to review for driving performance (HSI) and will tell you when you are about to go out of "P&G" something that was not possible on the gen 2. granted, the gen 2 had a sweet spot for performance that could be felt with practice and the gen 3 also has one. its much smaller, harder to feel, but its there

on the Gen 3, u can regen down to 1 mph. that gives you the opportunity to get better mileage.

i am not a hypermiler...not enough patience. i am in the "drive it because its 2nd to none" crowd.

i am also proof that good mileage can be had without the techniques (the SPM does not count since i dont drive it and she does NOTHING to get good mileage other than driving the speed limit. she is a reptile which means the car regulates her body temps...well, at least it "seems" that way!!)

but i have noticed the HSI can be used to help... on the "pulse" part in eco mode, simply bump it past the centerline to turn the engine on then ease it back to about half way between center and regen. the exact position varies based on the SOC and speed. the fact that EV mode can be run at 45 mph, imm, makes pulse and glide more convenient for the driver and the others on the road.

in the short bursts that i have tried it, i have hit 70-80 mpg (well, on MFD that is...but mine is a bit "inflated") so with patience, i could easily hit the mid to upper 60's.

i had 4 tanks that hit 60+ calculated when i first got my 2010 and none of those tanks had more than say 40% hypermiles

**edit** that wider cargo area does make a difference. in the SPM, to put the big stroller in, i have to angle one side in then the other, the 2010, its straight in with room to spare!!

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is normal to feel buyers remorse. It will pass. I am sure you will love it, it is just different. Perhaps knowing this one will perform even better in a rollover situation if that were to ever arise again should put a smile on your face. :)

Good to see someone as young as yourself driving one though! I get looks and I am 1.5 times your age at 22!

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree, its a huge purchase and its normal to feel buyers remorse and to second guess the specifics of the deal. It will pass.

Honestly...IMHO the Gen III is really a huge step up from a Gen II. The Gen III looks better, drives better, is MUCH more cofortable, gets better economy, has more power, has more features. I mean...IMHO there are absolutely zero pros to the Gen II, except that one may be paid for and the expense of getting into a new one. Thats the absolute only reason we still have our Gen II...its paid for and only has 60k miles. I absolutely *hate* driving it though...but I would happily drive a Gen III.

My wife is considerably less happy with her Gen II now that we have the new Lexus and she sees all the new toys ;) Like I told her, she had her shot!

1 person likes this.
  12. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In case you didn't know....

That "loud A/C compressor" is beltless and more efficient than the GII.

1 person likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some people can only afford 15 year old civics!:D

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The 2010 will grow on you, give it a chance. Yes, Toyota cheaped out this & cheaped out that but improvements were made where they count.

15. n1n018

n1n018 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I feel you bro! I just got my 10 Prius II on Sunday and I was feeling a little buyers remorse too. I love my 00 civic Si and had it for 10 years with no problems at all. I know there is not need for it anymore but I am going to keep it for fun to help me thought this transition period. :)

16. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah lol, people look at me weird too expecting a boy my age to want a race car, or a big powerful truck, but no. I've always wanted a Prius. :)

17. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh wow!
    Thats a big step up man lol.
    I hope you enjoy it yourself! :)

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you want to drive to boston, i'll swap you even for my pristine 08 with 20,000 miles.;)

19. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1. you can always mod your car
    B. wait till gas prices go back up
    c6. be happy with what you got, some people are driving crap in this near depression.

1 person likes this.
  20. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True.