1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can somebody measure the spread of beam pattern in 2012 Prius Five LED headlights?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by exbauer, Sep 7, 2012.

1. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was recently involved in a hit and run on my front end of my 2012 Prius Five. I wanted to see if somebody that has a 2012 Prius Five LED headlights (2010 and 2011 headlights are different) can please measure the spread between each arc. Preferably 25 feet away from a flat wall. My spread doesn't seem like it was before the accident. I just want to make sure it is correct. If you are not able to do it 25 feet away on a flat wall please let me know how far away you are.

Thank you in advance.

I have attached a photo below of what I am looking for.

Attached Files:

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello,

Sorry for the loss. Did they replace your radar unit after all?

I don't have the measurement you are looking for right now but here is some relavent info:

• The Prius (and all the modern Toyotas) has no horizontal aiming. Only the vertical aiming is adjustable. Damage to the supporting body materials that was not repaired to the exact alignment, could affect the aiming.
    • The horizontal aiming is even with the light position, with a little shift to the right. So, if your distance between the hot spots is greater or smaller than the distance between the headlights, something is off.
    • I am attaching screen shots from the repair manual. The aim spec is the same for both halogen and LED.
    HLA1.jpg HLA2.jpg

3. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the diagrams. I'll have to do that and see if the spread is the same. I did get the emblem replaced. The radar unit is behind the emblem set off a bit. That was fine. Just the emblem had some scratches. The emblem itself is $900 itself. I don't know what is so special. But, you ca't see through the thing. I kept the old one just to have.

4. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I measured the distance between the headlights and they are about 53" apart. Then measure the spread on the wall and it is the same. So, I guess it was just me noticing things that I didn't before the accident.

5. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five