1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can someone check these 2008 Gen II 12V battery numbers for me?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DamoRC, Nov 27, 2011.

1. DamoRC

DamoRC New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2008 GenII Prius, 40K miles and over the last month or so mileage seems to be dropping (based on miles obtained per tank). I think that this might just be the bladder tank holding less as it has gotten a little chilly here in SoCal. However, in trying to figure this out I came across a thread indicating that a faulty/old 12V battery can impact the MPG. So I used the test procedure documented here:

(Oops - I cannot post the link as an actual link - but it is post 1020264 here on Priuschat)

The numbers I got (twice) were:

(1) No brake, power button once, enter Vehicle Signals screen = 11.7V
    (2) No brake, hit power button again to add some load - dropped to 11.1V momentarily then returned to a steady 11.4V
    (3) Depress brake, hit power button, car in ready mode, voltage displayed = 14.0V, dropping to 13.9 when ICE kicks in.

As I said, I got identical numbers for both tests and I was checking with a voltmeter attached to the 12V at the same time (these numbers fluctuated more but were within 0.1V of the "Vehicle Signals" display. These numbers seem low compared to what was indicated in the testing thread.

Any thoughts / comments - Do I need a new 12V?

Thanks

DamoRC

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, you have less than 12 volts under all scenarios except when it is being charged by the HV battery. If it was over 12 volts except under load it might be good.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are your display mpg's and calculated mpg's? miles per tank is meaningless.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes. You could try putting it on a trickle-charger at 4 amps or less for a few hours, letting it sit overnight, and then repeating the test. It could just be low state of charge, but usually for those numbers, it will be dead/no start soon.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    +100

6. DamoRC

DamoRC New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Understood. Question is regarding the battery health.

Thanks,

DamoRC

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right, and you're going about it the right way. but as a symptom, you would be best served to understand and track mpg's properly as well.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very poor numbers under load. Death is imminent. Usually at the most inopportune time. I suspect it has been jumped before.

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is recommended, even on normal car batteries to charge about every six months. Since the Prius 12V/ charge system is so anemic, this recommendation goes double. If you think I am blowing hot air, just research all the threads on Priuschat, on problematic 12V Batteries.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Low numbers indeed. Do you have a voltmeter so you can test the battery with the car completely off?

One of symptoms for a dying 12v battery is the engine will continue running even when stopped when it would normally turn off if the battery was good.