1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can someone confirm what this is. Behind engine block leak. 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Thebakerman, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Thebakerman

Thebakerman Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    So I have this persistent leak. I have finally found out exactly where it's coming from. It's also dropping on the oil switch sensor area as well. Seems like maybe there is a crack as well in that area near leak. Kinda of freaking me out cause I don't know exactly what part or area this is called. Seems to me near the chain gasket area. 2010 Prius have had her since day one. Thanks for any help or direction in this matter.

Attached Files:

2. Thebakerman

Thebakerman Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the timing chain cover is notorious, but not usually serious enough to warrant repair. is it enough to be dripping on the floor overnight?
    you can't judge by oil used, 2010's typically burn oil because of the egr problem

4. Thebakerman

Thebakerman Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    No it doesn't leak that bad. As far as drips on the floor on my driveway I haven't seen any. The timing chain cover leaking I can live with. However the crack right below the cover concerns me. Thanks for your reply. I highly appreciate it

5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What you should do is clean the area with Brake Dry Clean and monitor the area so that you can pinpoint the source. If this indeed a hairline crack I would have no problem using some JB Weld to seal the crack.
    Note: it is important to clean and dry the area thourghly before applying the JB Weld.

Thebakerman, bisco and ASRDogman like this.
  6. Thebakerman

Thebakerman Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Fully understood. Totally makes sense. I just replaced the rear bearings (that was fun), cleaned the egr, replaced PCV valve, throttle body, maf and oxygen sensor cleaned, I'm getting 50 all day with no AC. With the AC on it sure hurts her, down to around 44-46. Highway with ac all day 50+. Thanks to online tutorials and forums like these. I just had to join. It's weird to have a crack there no? What is that, where the VIN Badge is attached to it. Either way I will clean it. Wait and apply some jb weld. Happen to have a tube in my tool box.

I replaced the battery myself. Went to a junk yard and pulled one out of a totaled Prius and paid 1000 out the door no core. Fixed the 6 cells that were bad and replaced them. Balanced and sold it for 1000. So basically free I guess. Perm code is there but no check engine light and it's been about 4500 miles no issues. I really love this car. Like I could upgrade easily and get a 2017 or 2018. this car has been do good to me. So I'm riding her till the wheels fall off. I tried AT 205 but for only about 2000 miles until I changed the oil. Anyone know how long it's safe travels use. Like I have 15,000 mile change intervals. Could it do whole cycle? Or do more damage then good? Either way as long as she gets me 200,000 I'm happy to say the very least. Thanks for any direction in that crack? Looks more like a bracket or holder to maybe inverter or tie bars. Thanks guys for anything and everything.

bisco likes this.
  7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I see that so often that I call it the "corolla triangle". Just had a gen3 up on the lift, same thing. It's what they do. Never gets bad enough by itself to pull things apart to reseal it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Thebakerman likes this.
  8. Thebakerman

Thebakerman Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Traded it in and got a 2021 PRIME! F IT LOL ! THANKS MAN!!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    quick fix.

10. Thebakerman

Thebakerman Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    For the record I was at a quart loss every 1200 miles. Pretty bad. Much better now... LMAO

Grit likes this.
  11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    not bad. Some feller was having an issue with his key fob, his fix was buying the newest prius.

12. Thebakerman

Thebakerman Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The 2021 prius primes are so cheap with rebates. I didn't any reason not to buy one. To be honest I almost bought 2!!lmao

Grit likes this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad to hear you scored one hell of a deal. I’m waiting for cash for clunkers part 2 for electric vehicles, maybe I’ll bite.

Thebakerman likes this.
  14. Ryan Wiktor

Ryan Wiktor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the same year and mine is leaking from the exact same point when looking at the engine from the front, it's located on the back top left corner, right? What exactly is located there? I see a few wires with plugs below it and a cover with two nuts on it. I need to clean it off to see where it's exactly coming from. Did you fix yours? If so, how?