1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can someone explain this statement to me...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by texassalsa04, May 26, 2004.

1. texassalsa04

texassalsa04 New Member

...from ABCNews.com "It is important to note, however, that hybrids are more expensive than their conventional counterparts — several thousand dollars more expensive.

So a hybrid owner won't really save money unless gasoline gets a lot more expensive. And it will never get a lot more expensive than it is now. Or will it?" :cussing:

If I was comparing a compact car like conventional Corrollas or Civics to the '04 Prius, then this may be true. But I think the news people and critics have it wrong. They should be comparing Camrys and Accords to the Prius which are considered mid-size vehicles.

I have looked at a few site to price out 2.4Liter Camrys and Accords and found them to be around the same price as a mid-level package Prius (which I own one). The quote above states that they are "more expensive than their conventional counterpart" I don't see where this is true. My thought is: If you are going to buy an Accord or a Camry, why not consider the '04 Prius instead? you will be paying for a similarly priced car and when you take delivery, you will see immediate pocket book benefits at your local gas stations.

I just hate it when people try to compare a compact car with a mid-size car. If I was in a market for a smaller compact car with good, not great, fuel efficiency, and I was really in a financial bind, I would have never purchased the Prius. Is my thinking wrong here?

2. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

there is also the issue that it's all well and good to compare the costs, but at some point, you won't be able to get gas at ANY price, and with all the other environmentally correct things about the prius, such as recycled plastics, etc, there is a lot more to the equation than just 'at what point do the gas savings make it worth my capitalistic while'

as a country, and as a world, we have to realize that sometimes there is a price for keeping things ecologically safe for the future.

how about if they compared the prius to the ford excursion, which is mostly (around here anyway) driven solo by country club moms on their cel phones anyway and they could just as well be driving a prius.

morning rant

3. texassalsa04

texassalsa04 New Member

...same here...in the Dallas area, I see lots of people driving Hummers and Expeditions by themselves. Somtime I wonder how often they actually use the cargo capacity and off roading capabilities of those vehicles. I am not trying to bash SUVs or anything like that, Yes, I understand that at times they have to hall all the kids around, carry large bulky items, or tow a cabin cruiser around but a majority of the time, its a single person driving those large vehicles.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius is not about minimizing direct costs to the owner, it's about dramatically reducing pollution and reliance on petroleum while keeping an accustomed level of performance and comfort. There are several new cars (not to mention used) that have a lower total cost of ownership.

And even us smug Prius owners would do well to remember to walk, bike, or take the train whenever possible instead of driving our sweet new machines.

5. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

definitely. there was a time a few years ago when my bike got more miles on it than my car did. that changed when i became a district governor for rotary international and had to do more travelling, but my bike still gets plenty of use. and not just because it's politically correct. fact is, in my small town with parking and traffic problems, it's often the fastest way to get someplace!!

6. Medved

Medved New Member

A loaded camry is 22810, msrp. The loaded Prius is 25540. So yes, it is more expensive. However, you are getting some options, which may not be on the Camry.

The Prius, fully loaded, is expensive. If you are buying a vehicle soley on saving money, you should NEVER buy a new car, at least that is my opinion. even if you buy a used car, with a warrenty, you could save large sums of money.

But getting back to comparing Apples to Apples, yes, the Prius IS more expensive. Also, one other note. The prius are going for NO LESS THAN MSRP. I am sure you could find a Camry brand new, for under MSRP. That just adds to the cost difference.

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    TRAC & VSC, front seat side and fore and aft side curtain air bags, NAV (option and available ONLY on V6 models- XLE Base price $25,920), aluminum wheels, SS/SE.
    You do get power front seats.

I agree with the point that you can dicker MSRP on the Camry, but not that it is cheaper than the Prius with the same features. A #7 is basically a #9 without the NAV, upgraded radio and bluetooth. And costs about the same as your "loaded" Camry yet still has TRAC/VSC, airbags, aluminum wheels and SS/SE. I say it is cheaper than the Camry :)

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I look at it this way.

Buying a Prius is like exercising the option of buying your utility power from a clean provider via your electric company (i.e. Wind/Solar/geothermal, etc.). It's not cheaper, but it's better for the environment.

Yes, I got my Prius (2) because it saved gas, but more for the geek factor. I knew it would never break even gas mileage wise, but I would be filling less, and feel better about driving this car vs. a high smog index sports sedan which required Premium.

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just ran a loaded 4 cyl Camry on Edmunds and came up with $26,174 MSRP. Not sure what you were calling loaded but they seem right about even on cost to me.

Yeah, the mix of amenities is different (Moonroof, Leather vs Nav, Voice Activation, Bluetooth, etc), but the prices are almost spot on similar.

10. texassalsa04

texassalsa04 New Member

Medved...yes, if I was to purchase a fully loaded Prius, it may be more expensive than a fully loaded Camry (4 cylinder version, not the V6). However, I purchased package 4, which was my first choice, it came to around $21,829. I bet I can get that Camry down from MSRP of $22,810 to around $21,829. Unless that fully loaded Camry has NAV and Side Curtain air bags, I won't miss much in my Prius.

So, my point is: Between the Camry/Accord with price equal to that of a mid-range Prius, my Prius is a much better investment in the long term as far as fuel consumption. I just don't see the benefit of going with anohter mid-size vehicle other than the Prius. By the way, most news people also say that the battery will have to be replace at owner's expense, but they fail to mention that the Hybrid system has an 8 years, 100,000 mile warranty.

11. Huck

Huck New Member

I'm a kind of analytical guy so I'm not really getting a good sense of an accurate cost comparison by comparing cars that are not comparably equipped. Does anyone have a more detailed way to compare purchase price by factoring in the costs of the options (or by comparing the options included in the base models).

The wisdom on the board seems to be "it's not about cost to you, it's about the environment." However, my gut tells me that in the long run, there is an argument to be won on cost of ownership if you go out far enough in time. Is there any detailed info on such a comparison?

12. mdacmeis

mdacmeis Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My situation was this: I was going to buy a new car. When I determined which vehicles had the appearance and features I wanted, I priced them out. $33k, $42k. Then I priced out a nice car with most of the features I wanted (not all were offered), $24k. Each of these vehicles required an "upgraded" engine (larger) to get the other options I wanted, so I am giving up another 5 mpg. Then there is the Prius. Only the $42k vehicle offered the nav system. My #9 was $26k delivered, with everything I wanted except for a sunroof. Considering the price when compared to my other choices, then the doubling of fuel economy, I consider it a bargain.

It is difficult to compare this vehicle to other vehicles with hybrid options available as add-ons to the base vehicle. You get a lot for your money with the Prius. Standard. Saving fuel was an important purchase incentive for me, but if the rest of the vehicle was not to my liking or was not a good value, I would have chosen something else in a heart beat. I am not disappointed with my decision. In fact, each day I think about how close I came to making the wrong choice.

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It would also be interesting to see how resale values compare to similarly equipped vehicles. I read in Consumer Reports that the Classic has dropped only 23% compared to the average 25% - I'm willing to be that the 04+ will be even better in resale values.

Especially since right now it's over 100% :)

14. Huck

Huck New Member

I'm a kind of analytical guy so I'm not really getting a good sense of an accurate cost comparison by comparing cars that are not comparably equipped. Does anyone have a more detailed way to compare purchase price by factoring in the costs of the options (or by comparing the options included in the base models).

The wisdom on the board seems to be "it's not about cost to you, it's about the environment." However, my gut tells me that in the long run, there is an argument to be won on cost of ownership if you go out far enough in time. Is there any detailed info on such a comparison?

15. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i think valid comparisons are hard with the prius because it's not available as a non-hybrid. it would be easier to see the 'more expensive' info if we looked at the honda civic, and the upcoming ford escape and lexus rx330 hybrids versus their non-hybrid counterparts

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't be too hard on the popular media. In their one-note way they're just pointing out to the masses that one shouldn't buy a Prius only to save money. One has to go to the Web for a more nuanced discussion :_>

17. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just don't think media should compare the Prius with "conventional counterparts" simply because there is no comparison! Sure let's say it is a couple of thousand more expensive, but you get what you pay for. My wife and I were literally so close to purchasing a Camry XLE, we've long been fans of the Camry, and despite the Camry having more bargaining power because of availability, we still decided to order the Prius and endure a 3.5 month wait. sure we weren't able to haggle the price but whenever we see a Camry nowadays, we are thankful we didnt go in that direction. We're proud to own a Prius. There's just no comparison!

18. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    My back-of-envelope estimates tell me that in the first five years of ownership (and I intend to keep the car for nearer to double that) I ought to save around £4000 or so(*) in fuel and road tax against my current car (a 9-year-old turbo-diesel). Against a more modern HDi turbo-diesel, the savings might be more like £3000, but even then, a £17000 Prius is much more car than the £14000 cars I considered to be the alternatives.

This rough calculation ignores inflation and the opportunity cost of the capital - but it also ignores fuel price rises, so I reckon it evens out within the 1-significant-digit precision I'm working at. :)

(*) based on £100/yr less VED and saving approx ¼ of my £2500/yr fuel bill

19. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

This is the key. Will the price of the Escape hybrid be higher than a similarly equipped regular Escape? Yes... it says so in the Hybrid Escape FAQs. The Civic Hybrid starts at $19,650 while the regular Civic starts at $13,010.

I bought my Prius because I'm technology-oriented, liked the shape of the car and many of its features (single-speed transmission, Homelink, smart entry, etc.), and, of course because of the increasing price of gas. The "good for the environment" issue was secondary.

20. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

I doubt that anyone buys a Prius priced car simply because it gets better gas mileage. People buy a Prius because they really, really want a Prius. They want a Prius because, in their minds, the car compares favorably with its counterparts (conventional or not).

I'm going to list here some of the Prius features that I especially appreciate. So here's the question: What counterparts are there out there that cost less but compare favorably considering the following important criteria?

. Well made .. Good looking exterior .. Good looking interior

. High reliability - Just for grins, count the number of discussions relating to car problems on this forum .. Then go to virtually any other forum and do the same. Nice surprise.

. 5th door (liftback) – No longer a problem carrying large boxes or other big ‘stuff’.

. Comfort: Very comfortable for the driver and front seat passenger, but even more than that, there’s plenty of leg room for those sitting in the back seat.

. Safety: The car got 5 star / 4 star safety ratings all around (even without the side / head airbags that are on my version). The car also has Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control (features that help keep you out of accidents by helping keep your car under control in lousy weather or bad road conditions).

. It’s quiet – Conversation and listening to music are comfortable things to do in this car.

. Air conditioning – The air conditioning is quieter, easier to control, and more effective than the air conditioning / climate control I’ve had in other cars (also, it’s not run by the gasoline engine – never any drag on the engine and it works fine when the engine isn’t running).

. Warranty (peace of mind) – Although its standard warranty is only 3 years / 36,000 miles, it’s drive train warranty is extended considerably, and its electrical system warranty extends even further out yet

. Gas Mileage / Good mood - Each time you fill your gas tank you know you're getting the best bang for the buck out there. You watch the increasing gas prices with interest rather than with extreme frustration. Helps maintain good mental health.

. Avoiding waste - Knowing that you're not burning unnecessary gas and you're not polluting the atmosphere each time you sit for one or two minutes at each city traffic light.

. Transmission – Smooth and amazing in its technology (none other like it).

. Air pollution - The knowledge that you're giving something back to society, knowing that you, along with 9 Prius owning friends, are polluting the air no more than that one "conventional counterpart" that's driving along next to you.

. Technology - For those who appreciate high technology done right, there's no other car that will compare favorably with the Prius.

. Fun, interesting, and good conversation piece - One needs to purchase a sports oriented car (the good ones are rather expensive) to find the equivalent in this category.

In other words, this car does not cost thousands more than its counterparts. If you look very carefully, the Prius not only compares favorably, it may very well be the best bang-for-the-buck car out there.