1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can someone help? CDs stuck in dead prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MarianneLS, Jun 27, 2006.

1. MarianneLS

MarianneLS New Member

I have also posted this in the audio forum---Can someone please help us? I am devastated by this--our 2004 Prius was totally destroyed in a flash flood that came down our street in the horrific rains that are falling on Washington, D.C. this week. Even though we are on very high ground, a terrible rush of water came down the street and our neighbors said that all was visible of our car was the roof. To make a long story short, the insurance company said it was a total loss.

We have six CDs in the stereo (factory installed, came with the car). Is there any way for us to remove them at home? Can you point me to any instructions on how to do this? The cost of taking it to a shop will be prohibitive. We are also dealing with flooded basement and much destruction in our home. But I am so sad because some of my 2-year-old daughter's favorite music was in the car, as were some CDs my husband gave me for mother's day.

Please help us if you can.
    Marianne
    [email protected]

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry to hear that. :(

There are couple of guides on the internet that shows you how to disassemble the dash and get to the radio. At that point, I guess you can take the radio out and disassemble it at home or something to get the CDs out.

This is one of them, hope this helps. http://www.chrisdragon.com/downloads/Stere...us,%20v1.03.pdf

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 27 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]277413[/snapback]</div>
    I would probably try hooking up a pair of jumper cables to see if it powers on enough in accessory mode to eject the CDs.

4. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm sorry for your loss, that's terrible. Fortunately it's replaceable!!

Anyway, I was going to say that people need to be careful buying cars in the next few months. What do you think happens with flooded cars?
    Same thing they did with all the destroyed cars in New Orleans after the hurricane. They clean em up and resell them somewhere else. It's very hard to detect flood damage, and title history can be doctored.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/26/...ain885714.shtml
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/ma...s-106/index.htm

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This may not be the answer you were hoping for, but is it possible to add the cds to your insurance claim and buy new ones?

6. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

Easiest to hardest
    1) Wait. See if the car will dry out enough so you can power to accessories. Eject them if you can. This is not a likely scenario since the water got into the stereo.

2) Jumper it and try the above. Probably less likely than above to work.

3) Pull apart the dash and get the stereo out. Disassemble that to get your CD's. This is your best chance. It's also the least dangerous considering the high voltage running through the car that may still short out somewhere.

7. GSpozars

GSpozars New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MLS @ Jun 27 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]277404[/snapback]</div>

8. GSpozars

GSpozars New Member

It may not be worth the trouble to try to recover the CD's if they were completely under water at all.

Submerged Audio CD's suffered fatal corrosion damage after Hurricane Andrew in Florida.
    The aluminum coated side corroded, making the CD un-playable.

When held up to light you could see through the CD disc.

It's the little things that hurt the most after such a natural disaster. Sorry for your losses.

We are waiting for Storms "B" through "Gamma" here in the Hurricane Belt in Florida.

2 Prius Family

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MLS @ Jun 27 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]277404[/snapback]</div>

9. harrv

harrv Member

Similar situation happened to me when my Prius was totaled in December. Never got them back.