1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can someone please tell me what this light means

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tracysbeans, Oct 28, 2010.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I didn't know how to search for my question so I hope you don't mind I just go ahead and ask it.

I have a 2006 Prius. When I went to FedEx tonight an orange light came on with an exclamation mark in parenthesis (sp?). Everything seemed ok though as I was driving. I'm hoping it's not something urgent? I need to run another important errand yet tonight but if it is something I should worry about I don't want to drive it.

I'm hoping there is someone on here tonight who can answer my question. I would really appreciate it.

Tracy

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are talking about the warning light that looks like this: ((!))
    then that is telling you that your brake system is impaired. I am surprised that you have not said that the ABS and VSC warning lights are also on.

I recommend that you drive at moderate speeds and allow plenty of braking distance while you need to run your errands this evening. Then take your car as soon as possible, to your local Toyota dealer so that a diagnosis can be performed. Good luck.

3. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I'm talking about an orange light like this (!). I don't think it had double brackets like your showing above.

I don't see any other warning lights on. What would the ABS and VSC warning lights look like?

I was just at Toyota last months for routine stuff and that included checking over my brakes. They checked out fine from the report. I just had to do an oil change, rotate the tire and replace the engine and cabin filters. I guess they can go bad that quick? I have barley driven the car since then. (It is a 2006 BUT I only have 24,000 miles on it)

I appreciate your help. I really need to run an errand tonight.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The inner set of () in my post #2 is meant to approximate a circle. If you see that symbol then the brake system has a problem.

The ABS and VSC warning lights look like three letters each - no icon.

cwerdna has proposed a reasonable possibility: that the low tire pressure warning light is on. In that case the icon looks like the cross section of a tire.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Did it look like this? Given that yours is a 2006 (and you barely put any miles on it), I'm gonna guess it's the low tyre pressure light.

a VSC warning light would just say "VSC" in amber. I think ABS (and other braking issues) would illuminate the ((!)) light in amber.

7. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yes It looks JUST like that! I just got back from my errand and my brakes seem fine. I think I had this issue before. I just don't remember it being that symbol but I guess know that I think about it I think it was that symbol.

GREAT! Glad it is just a small issue like that. I will stop by Toyota to have them add some air to the tire like I did last time.

So far the only small issue I had beside the regular mantinence was a bad windshield wiper. Hope it stays that way!

8. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

PS That symbol is suppose to look like a tire. Doesn't to me.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe.

Couldn't you just head down to the gas station to add air to it? Or do you have nitrogen in it?

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the "treads" can be hard to see. On the Gen 3, it's to the right of the MID so it can be easily missed.

11. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Umm I'm a girl. ;) (WAIT I'm also blond too :p) I could have the shop down the street do it BUT I like to make sure the proper recommended air is put in it by the makers of the car. :p

WAIT :eek: Maybe I better go down to the shop at the end of my street. What if there was a screw or something in it. Toyota is a few miles away and I don't want to have a possible issue with it on the way there.

BUT what do I put the tire pressure to? (never pay attention to that kind of boring stuff ;) ) And I know the shop guys will say each carry varies on that.

I don't claim to know much about cars BUT I'm good at making $$$ anyway. :D

12. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I just helped my daughter get a new car. Unfortunatly she (we) couldn't afford to get a Toyota so we went with a Chevy Aveo Sedan. (At least it is brand new and about $5K less than the cheapest new Toyota-NO MORE used cars for us) She got Onstar with her car. I think that Onstar tells her is something is up with her car. Like tire pressure etc. Can you get Onstar put into a Pruis? I want Onstar now. Here we pay $12,500 for her car (after 2 rebates & rewards points) and she gets Onstar FREE for a year and I pay $30K for my car and NO Onstar. :( I haven't read up yet on Onstar BUT it seems cool. My daughter said they came on and helped her when she got lost going to a zoo. She said they stayed on and help her the rest of the way there. I WANT THAT!! :mod:

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's called Safety Connect and it's available on Prius IV and V models but unfortunately, it doesn't include turn-by-turn directions. Safety Connect just helps with stolen vehicles, roadside assistance and that sort of thing. It's also free for the first year.

lol... o.k.. < $5 at pepboys for a tyre pressure gauge and just look at the door jamb for the correct pressures (35/33 if you wanna know). Remember, tyre pressure changes with temperature so 35/33 in the summer won't be 35/33 in the winter...

rule of thumb: 1 psi for every 10°F.

14. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tracysbeans, since you have said that you don't know much about these things, Tideland's post might need some clarification.

The Toyota recommended pressure is 35 psi in the front tires (or tyres) and 33 psi in the rear, regardless of what the outside temperature is. What Tideland is telling you is that, even if there is no air leakage at all, if you set the tires to the recommended pressure when the tires are warm, the pressure will drop when the temperature drops. You should inflate the tires to whatever pressure you choose when the tires are cool; preferably when they have not been driven on for a few hours. If you can't do that, drive for as short a distance as possible before setting the pressure.

1 person likes this.
  15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Beyond the two most recent posts, many 2nd gen owners here will argue that Toyota's "recommended" pressures in the door jamb are too low and lead to uneven wear (edges wearing out first) instead of uniform wear besides hurting fuel economy. I'd agree w/that argument as I had that w/my Integrities even though I was inflating them slightly beyond recommended pressures.

I'd suggest at least 38 psi front and 36 psi rear.

16. johnong

johnong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just purchase a used '08 Prius & after 2 weeks saw that same symbol this morning (first time overnight frost). I figured out it was low tire pressure & checked the tires & didn't see any significant change (suppose to light up when 25% less pressure than baseline). I found out you can reset by holding reset button below the steering column until it flashes slowly 3x (I actually had to read the manual to figure this out).

17. swi66

swi66 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, the overnight temp around here droppedto below freezing.
    So my light came on.
    Pressure was probably last set when the outside temp was at least 70.

you sometimes have to adjust the temp seasonally.
    Heat expands/cold contracts.

Most people naver check the air in their tires when the temp drops.
    Prius owners at least have a warning light............

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The simplest way to preserve fuel economy and tire life is to check and maintain tire pressures monthly. Spend $8 on a digital gauge and do it yourself at home after the car has been sitting for an hour or more.

19. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Prius II (2004) so is the 2010 the V? That would make the update in 2006 the III and I guess the 2008 the IV.

So by that rule, in the summer when the temp is 110, I should have 11 psi, and in the winter when it is 38, I should have 3.8 psi. ;)

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

II, III, IV and V are not generations. They're Prius models. Instead of having Package #1 through #9 like they did with the previous generation, they went with models.

For 2011, they will be changed to Two, Three, Four and Five.

Your Prius is the 2nd generation. The 2006-2009, I would call 2.5 (the midlife updated models).

I probably should've said "change" in a pressure and air temperature. I just figured it was universally known