1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can someone post a pic of the backseat? And can 3 people fit back there?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by prius_1, Apr 1, 2009.

1. prius_1

prius_1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am thinking of getting a used gen 1 prius with about 60k miles on it and I am wondering if it is smaller than the current gen 2 prius? I would need to seat 3 people in the backseat sometimes. (all kids). Can this be done in a gen 1 Prius? Or am I better off getting a gen 2?

Thanks,

Jessica

2. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Better yet, maybe someone can invite some friends over and post a picture of the back seat with 3 people in it ?

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a Gen2 and can't answer about that model. But three people can fit in the back of a Gen2.

More if they are laying down. ;)

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have a 2003, NHW11 Prius and it can fit 3 small people in the back but only if they are young. Young people have a tendency to get larger over time.

I would recommend going with an NHW20 model primarily related to the ability to fold down the rear seats for over-sized loads. It is a more practical layout and the vehicle includes significant engineering improvements in the NHW20 (2004-current.)

I just checked Kelly BB and they are showing a suggested retail price of $13,610 (highest) for a 2003 Prius with 60,000 miles. Ebay is showing them going for $6-9,000. The only caution is the battery warranty is good for 8 years, 100,000 miles.

I don't like to recommend a used vehicle unless you have a backup. Also, you need to realize that unplanned, variable rate, maintenance costs come with a used car. It is how life is.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

5. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's lots of room.
    The pic actually shows less of the rear seat than I'd like though.

I've often had three adults, and four kids, in the back of my G2 Prius. I guess it depends on location, Canadians tend to be less wide on average than Texans.

[​IMG]

6. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Texans need the extra room because of their superior brain sizes. Canadians can get by with a much smaller space. :boink:

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Bob I have also noticed that older people can also get larger over time, but in the orthogonal direction.

NHW11 rear seat is suitable for 2 1/2 people, but the used car buying decision should be largely based on vehicle condition. As implied above this is not easy to discern in Prius, accounting for some of the concerns.