1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can someone tell me what really needs to be done at 30,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tracysbeans, Mar 8, 2012.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

First I would really appreciate someones help. I run 2 businesses so I don't have much much time to read on Pruischat anymore like I did when I first got my Prius. :(

Anyway this is where I'm at. I have a 2006 Prius and I'm now at 31,000 miles (yes I'm a VERY low milege driver.)

I'm just wondering what I should do at my 30,000 maintence checkup.

History:
    I have done all the oil changes, tire rotations etc. In Aug 2010 I had them do the Cabin Air Filter Replacement. (per their reccomdation)

These are the other misc I have done with my car:
    Change the Accesory Battery at 5 years old
    Repaired a Tire
    Replaced Rear Hatch Latch (taken care of under my warranty)
    (I think that is about it which sure is NICE)

I just want to do what is needed but not do what's not needed.

I would appreciate any help. I saw the thread about what to do and what not to but it was all spread out over time and was confusing me. I'm just concerned what to do now for the 30,000 mile maintence.

Thanks, Tracy

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Change the oil and rotate the tires. If you drive in dusty conditions you might want to check the air filters.

Tom

3. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Oh ok thanks. I thought I had to do alittle more than that.

I was just worried about this comment in that other thread that Bill said:
    Thank you and your tech husband, Galaxee. I hope he's feeling better. Dealers may try to sell you anything if they can see a profit. It's good to know what may be reasonable

Also I'm worried about this comment in that other thread:
    Thanks for posting this. At my 30K service they wanted to do an upsale with injector cleaning and new tires. I declined both, but got the tires elsewhere. I had the alignment done then, like you suggested.

And really worried about this comment in that thread!
    our dealer had us do the fuel injector cleaning on the Camry at 70,000ish kms. Let's just say, after that, the auto-trans fluid and tyre changes, the total bill was..... $1,000... ugh.

I just don't want them to try to upsale me trying to get me to THINK something has to be done when it really doesn't.

4. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

They check those automatically right? I'm not really in dusty conditions. I had them replaced on 8/31/10 because the said they needed changing. (not sure if they did or not) But I let them change them.

I just have a history of getting screwed when I was poor and only could afford beaters so that is why I'm so anxious here. And that is what lead to me working so hard to get rich and ONLY going new. LOL (Just don't see the need to getting a new car yet when I've had great luck with this one)

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As a simple answer to the question in the thread title:

Toyota.

(As outlined in their maintenance pamphlet, came with the car. Dealerships will have their own agendas; you're in no way obligated to follow them.)

6. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I do have my maintence pamplet. I just didn't know if there was anything else I had to worry about besides it.

And I see it has the Cabin air filter and engine air filter listed under 30,000 miles but I did those back in Aug 2010. Just wondering if they would need to be done again now or I can just bypass those.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if you have an extended warranty ( I did not) but one thing on the 2006 is the main anti-freeze water pump sometimes leaks and I am under the impression some folks had this replaced free under warranty. You can see this as pink salts build up near the pulleys for the fan belt. I still have my orig water pump at 105K but keeping an eye on it. I did find the level low, but now its holding.

PS- of course I assume you have kept up with the recalls

8. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I think I have done 2 different recalls. One for the gas pedal thing and not sure on the other. I do have an extended warranty. (7 years or 75,000 miles) I will check on this when I go in.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You should be good on the filters.

Tom

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Tracey,

Due to your low usage, you need to follow the TIME recommendations in the owners manual instead of mileage.

11. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok, I guess that is what I have been doing because in Aug 2010 I had the cabin and engine air filters replaced. Those are on the 30,000 or 36 month guidline.

But I guess I haven't been competly because I should be doing a 60,000 mile or 72 month maintance now on my car.

So just stick to going by what's in the passport now for 60,000 mile or 72 months right? Or what they dealer might suggest. And if they suggest something I'm unsure about I can come here and ask about it?

I'm trying to read over the other thread now but most of the stuff is way over my head and confusing me even more. Some are saying change fluids at certain points and others are saying you don't need to. All the back and forth with the info is just making my head spin.

So at 60,000 miles or 72 months it's saying to replace the cabin air filter and engine air filter. Should I do that now if I did it back in 8/2010?

Thanks for any help! Tracy

12. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok, I have been reading over that other thread and after I got past all that back and forth at the begining of the thread about fluids I'm finding some VERY helpful stuff.

One person said this:
    Additional money savers: You can save a substantial amount by changing the engine and cabin air filters yourself. Dealers are reported to have charged what I consider obscene amounts for a quick job; either can be done in about two minutes with no tools. And with just a little mechanical aptitude and a few simple tools, a Prius oil change is quite easy.

Ok, I'm willing to step up and try to do the engine and cabin air filters myself. Is there a thread somwhere on this? And where do I buy the parts?

From my bill back on 8/31/10 I paid this amount:
    $101.00 Which included this

Tire Rotation $19.99
    1 Rubber wiper Blade $6.11
    1 Rubber wiper Blade $4.11
    Labor $5.02
    Air Filter Replacement $18
    Labor $4.50
    Cabin Air Filter $18
    Element Air Refi $20 (not sure what this is?)
    Labor $20

So what would I pay for the cabin and engine oil filters? And I guess I should check them first to see if they even need to be replaced right?

No I'm going to pass on doing the oil changes. No tools and knowledge for that.

How does changing your own air cabin and engine filters work with a existing warrenty?

13. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Now I have a new question after seeing this statement in the other thread:

The dude said my tires are ripe for replacement, so they'll do that as part of my extended warranty. Post #176

Toyota replaces tires under extended warrantys? I though you were on your own with tires and batteries? I'm not sure if my tires are ok or not but heck that would great IF I can get them replacement if needed under my extended warranty.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the tires are wearing abnormally fast, or unevenly. It is unusual for a dealer to replace tires gratis. See if you can get more explanation. Could be alignment problem??