1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can starting in EV mode be dangerous?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Feb 17, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The question came up in my mind after I engaged "switched" EV mode first thing when starting up and I naturally coast along in complete silence under power of electricity alone.

The part that concerns me is when I finally get up to 34mph or when the battery gets depleted "either way" to the ICE it goes from complete sleep to instant rpms to support that speed..... kinda like kicking someone out of bed?.. Not exactly a graceful wakeup for my ICE "Internal Combustion Engine".

Does anyone see this as dangerous to the engine since there is no oil at all and without even a second of wakeup time it has to perform work?

I know reving a cold engine is not good, so wouldn't this be a little similiar?

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I certainly wouldn't use EV mode that way. I only use it to relocate the car when I know I won't be needing the ICE at all - like moving the car in or out of the garage. I'd also use it when pulling away from somebody if I didn't want to leave them in a cloud of my offal. But I wouldn't use it to get all the way up to speed with a cold ICE.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No the HV system will not let you harm the car! It will cut in the ICE to Charge the Battery. The three laws of robotics apply.
    Woo I don't believe I had that idea. It may well be that the "zeroth" law applies as well!

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    (don't mean to be ignoring the good I, Robot humor....)

Yes, obviously the ICE cuts in... but won't the ICE be put under strain immediately if you're asking for big acceleration right as you exit EV mode? Or does the ICE actually spin up and pressurize the oil before firing? I don't know that answer.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i imagine the motor generators will still spin up the ICE before applying spark.

6. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. The ICE is spun by MG1 to a certain rpm then fires.

My opinion for the original question is that it does not harm the system but it is not wise use of EV switch.
    We'll see a lot of rebounds to charge the battery back to the normal level degrading our mileage number.

Ken@Japan

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    no oil issues. that was addressed by someone some time ago. that is all i remember.

seems that a worse situation is having an engine turning with unburnt gas in the engine which happens everytime you crank a normal car. the gas breaks down the oil coating inside the engine increasing wear.

besides, we must remember that the fuel pump doesnt control the oil flow. the engine turns all the time at high speeds without gas being burned.

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yea, normally it does protect it.. but once or twice I heard that nasty sound of a little clatter you hear when an engine that does not have all the oil in the top of the engine yet... if you are accelerating fairly decently when you hit the 34mph mark, the ice comes on and comes on rather hard to give you the power you need "and" charge the battery you have just depleted.....

I'm not sure I like this?...

If you hit 34 easy, its seems pretty smooth.. similiar to a normal startup... or you can even let off the gas a bit so the engine only charges the batt and doesn't try to rev to give you power too... that doesn't seem so bad that I have noticed.... but the acceleration mode is a little concerning.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure it does in this scenario?.. maybe so if you think so.... but remember the engine has never turned over once that I can tell when you start a cold car up and instantly go into switched EV mode the ICE never comes on at all.

I don't have a can-view to see, but Dave are you saying that in fact the ICE "does" turn over even though it has yet never been engaged for power of any type yet?

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually the engine does spin before the valve timing changes to create compression. until it spins up to a set RPM, no gas is injected, no compression is created.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you look at the energy flow when you first start the car cold, you will see more use of the battery for the first minute or so than you'd otherwise expect. The car WANTS to run the engine gently at first. In the scenario you describe in the OP, it's harder for the car to go easy on the engine.

I don't think this will really HURT the engine, but I do think it's inefficient, and I don't think it's good for the engine.

This is why, in an earlier thread, I urged you not to drive a long distance in EV mode first thing in the morning. As stated there, I prefer to park at 3 or 4 bars of SOC in the evening, and then let the engine run to warm up when I start it in the morning.

For ANY car it's good to drive gently for the first few minutes. I think this is true of the Prius also. The fact that you CAN leave the engine off until you hit a high-speed street, just gives you one more way to abuse the EV switch.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the ice is spun up by the motor generators before spark is applied. this gets the oil circulating. the engine won't be running without oil in the head. the engine won't start without being spun up- remember there is no "starter" per se to turn the engine over like there is in a conventional car.

if you're going to accelerate above 30 or so, kick it out of EV and let the engine warm up if you're really worried about it.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

That makes sense for a normal start.. I just wonder if it still applies when coming out of a cold switched EV mode to instant power of the ICE?

The moment I hit 34.. the ICE comes on hard If accelerating when it happens and it sure doesn't sound like it does any spinning first because the moment I feel it on, I also feel power applied.

At any rate.... I'm going to go with my gut feeling that Hydrygas confirms.... I agree with the caution he mentions..... I would rather the engine to have at least fired up once normally before I do an accclerated EV thing.... I'm not sure how much failsafe Toyota has built into the system for that... especially since you have to mod to even get it.
    But even "manually" disengaging EV at a higher speed would have the same effect.
    At least you prob wouldn't be disengaging manually while hard accelerating.

Its not that big of a deal to need to do it and until I have more instrumentation to see whats going on, I think will defer to caution.

Thanks for everybody's input.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Daniel you are back. I agree EV at night and ICE in the morning!

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    but the engine won't apply power until it's been spun up. you won't feel it do anything until it's good and ready to do so. there is no load applied until the engine has (a) been spun up to the specified rpm and (b ) had spark applied to fire off the cylinders. i'd imagine in the programming it starts a sequence somewhere between 30-33 mph depending on the circumstances that preps the engine for startup.

ah heck. why am i doing this on my own? i'm gonna wait until DH gets back downstairs and we'll ask him. :)

always best to err on the side of caution, i say :D

16. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

I thought the EV mode was standard on the japanese Prius. if that is the case, I don't think you should be worried about the engine kicking in at anytime. them engineers probalby got that this down pat.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If that ends up being true, that would certainly make me feel better!
    It would certainly seem logical for Toyota to factor something like that in....

After all they use switched EV commonly elsewhere in the world.. surely there has to be failsafes built in?... I actually would be surprised if not... its just until I really know.. I'll defer to EV in the eve.

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I double posted with you.. but as you see, I'm already thinking on your lines of thought....

19. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ok. i asked DH and this is what i got.

in a conventional car, when you start the car there is a moment where the engine builds oil pressure. maybe a second or so.

MG1 spinds the engine to speed much faster, less than a second. it also build oil pressure much quicker. the motor won't start feeling the "stress" of acceleration like that until your oil pressure has been up to par and teh motor is already turning over at at least the baseline speed.

you may not think that when you're accelerating in EV and ICE kicks in during aceleration that the motor actually spins up before applying power. but there is no possible way for it to start without being spun up first. so there is no other option.

the difference in engine feel when it's kicking in is simply the PSD adding power of the motor into the electric that's already powering the car. that's the last part of the sequence of your car switching from EV to electric and gas.

also, cam timing (therefore valve timing) is different during warmup.

don't worry. your prius is plenty smart and can handle itself just fine.

hope that answers everything... whew! :)

20. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

another thing is that the thermos is pumped to the cylinder head from the start so the ICE isn't stone cold, once the computer says start the ICE MG1 spins it up with out fuel or spark till it gets to approx 1000 rpm then applies fuel and spark to a partially warm engine. Harm it I doubt it. The cam timing is held in the retated position to force a hotter ehaust to warm the cats till O2 sensor say's were warm and starts the leaning of the exhaust to bring it to normal operating temp and S4.