1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can structural integrity be restored after an accident?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by janiek, Nov 17, 2009.

1. janiek

janiek New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello --

My 2007 Prius was recently hit on the driver's side by an out-of-control car. The driver's door was destroyed, and there was also damage to the frame on the left bottom side of the car. The left front wheel was pushed into the body of the car and was at a slant with the top of the wheel touching the frame of the car. I was told today that the car is probably repairable, but my question is, once the frame is bent, can it be restored to be as strong as it was before the crash? Thank you!

Janiek

2. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are shop capable of repairing such damage and straightening the frame, but I would be highly interested in having the car totaled. With the damage you described, I would expect that the car is a total loss. I'd also recommend you work hard to convince the insurance company of that.

If you were in the car and not "obviously" injured, you may want to have your doctor look you over. You may also want to contact a lawyer to ensure you aren't short-changed on the settlement.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Technically it is possible to repair the car. The body shop would cutout the panels that are damaged and weld in new replacement ones. However, the quality of the repair will be dependent on the skill and care of the technician.

4. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have the insurance company total it out because you may have a hard time selling the car one day since it had been in an accident and had a bent frame.

5. janiek

janiek New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you to all three of you who answered! I'm thinking that I should request of my insurance company that the car be considered a total loss. Right now, the external damages estimate is $12,000.00, and it is currently undergoing an internal damages estimate. The car is worth around $17,000.00, and I was told by the insurance agent that the cost of repair would have to be just about the same as the worth of the car to justify being considered totaled. Yesterday I was told by the insurance agent that although the internal estimate isn't complete yet, it has been started, and that the car is "probably repairable". So, we'll see! Thank you again ibmindless, dogfriend, and desertrider!

Janiek

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is interesting that your insurance agent told you that the repair cost would have to be the same as the current value of the car before it was considered totalled.

I have State Farm insurance and was involved in a fender bender. My insurance agent said that State Farm uses 75% of the current value of the car to determine if it is totalled or not. It must be different for different insurance companies.

Also, our insurance industry is guided by our NC state insurance commissioner, so our state policies may be different.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They do? I also have State Farm, and happened to cause a boo-boo five years ago. If they had this 75% rule at that time, their estimate of the car's value was higher than mine.

I was traveling out of state, and timing and geography meant dealing with other than my own agent.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    State Farm in NC used the 75% value according to my agent at the time. Like I said, it may vary from state to state since ours is guided by the NC Insurance Commission.

9. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had unfortunate experience to know that the 75% rule is used by insurance companies in Washington state.