1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can`t Find VIN

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by skilwalla, Dec 12, 2012.

1. skilwalla

skilwalla New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought 2008 Japanes Domestic Model full fearured Prius , tried hard but cant found the VIN number. ...???
    Driver side Crub is pasted with a sticker shown Model Number & Chaiss number...!!!
    Can any one help to decode these numbers....???

Model No, DAA-NHW20-AHEEB-A
    Chasis No, NHW20-7743806

Skilwalla.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. skilwalla

skilwalla New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many Thanx .......

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 on Wiki Info.

According to the wiki, the chassis number listed by the OP would be what we call a VIN here in the states, if I am reading the wiki correctly.

Following is a quote directly from the wiki concerning VIN's on JDM cars.

VIN
    The Japanese market does not apply any of the international VIN systems; instead, Japan uses a Frame Number, which is a string of 9 to 12 alphanumeric characters often[vague] identifying a particular make and model, and a serial number of the vehicle. For example, Frame Number SV30-0169266 breaks down as "V30" identifying the model as Toyota Camry/Vista x30; "S" identifying the engine (4S-FE), and 0169266 being the serial number of the vehicle. Vehicle make is not identified at all, though different manufacturers use slightly different frame number structures and it is usually easy to determine make from the frame number. Toyota usually uses 7 digits for serial number while Nissan uses 6, for example.
    Because a frame number contains far less information than a VIN, JDM vehicles also use a Model Code as a supplement. SV30-BTPNK, for example, wherein "SV30" would have the same meaning as above, and BTPNK would designate a set of features incorporated in the vehicle.

Hope this help the OP and other's who are concerned about VIN's on "Japanese Domestic Motor Vehicles".

Ron

6. skilwalla

skilwalla New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tried couple of sites , but couldnt get thru ....?? Any Clue to decode the below Codes Marked on driver Jamb....

Model No, DAA-NHW20-AHEEB-A
    Chasis No, NHW20-7743806

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    NHW20 refers to the Gen 2 Prius.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Japanese market does not apply any of the international VIN systems; instead, Japan uses a Frame Number, which is a string of 9 to 12 alphanumeric characters often[vague] identifying a particular make and model, and a serial number of the vehicle. (From Wiki)

Model # is first, Serial # is second.

7743806 should be the "serial" number.

9. skilwalla

skilwalla New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would suggest that if there is a Toyota dealer in your area, that you contact them directly. What part of the world are you in? You can add your location to your profile. I personally do not know of a Japan email address or the website for Toyota Japan. I am not saying there is not one, just that I don't know what it is. Hopefully, someone from that neck of the world will chime in.

Good luck to you and I hope this info helps you.

Ron