1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the front brakes be replaced at home for the do it yourselfer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by reor, Feb 10, 2010.

1. reor

reor New Member

Just wondering ( I was told to only have brakes done at Toyota) if it's possible to change front brake pads myself. I've done many other cars but are Prius' different with the regen system? Thanks

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's possible.

They're regular brakes. The regen system is built into the transaxle, which contains the MG2 which does the regen braking.

Bleeding the brake lines, however, do require a specialized tool that dealers have.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hobbit says you should disable the brake system so that there is no possibility of it actuating while you have the caliper off. See more here:

Brake service

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recommend you disconnect the negative terminal of the 12V battery before you start, so that the skid control ECU can't log DTC as you remove and replace the front pads. You'll have to compress each caliper piston to make room for the new pads, and that might induce a DTC if 12V power is on.

5. reor

reor New Member

Cool, Thanks for the info.