1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the gas tank be "burped"?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by DonDNH, Aug 17, 2004.

1. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Today when I filled up the pump shut off after 8.2 gallons. According to my estimate, I should have taken at least 9 gallons.

I removed the nozzle, and rocked horizontally the car by pushing to the right of the filler cover and just below the spoiler until the car was swaying and I could hear the gas sloshing in the tank.

Then, the tank burped!

I then proceeded to add nearly another gallon with no difficulty.

Has anyone tried this with their baby?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've tried rocking. Doesn't help much. Instead, I fill slowly, and let the vapors gurgle out between pauses until I get fuel right to the filler neck (or somewhat close). I've learned to get it to the point where it doesn't spill, but it takes practice and a cooperative nozzle.

There's supposed to be a means of purging vapors into the intake manifold, however I question whether or not it works in the case of fillup.

I'm hoping rather that Toyota will release a "fix" (i.e. an updated filler nozzle) to remedy this so we don't have to manipulate the tank in various ways to get a complete fill.

On a different note, about a minute or two after I park, I hear some sort of "release", but that's followed by the hydraulic brake pump, so the release may not be fuel tank related.

3. Batavier

Batavier Member

I sometimes do this with my current car (only my current car for two more days... then it's Prius time!) and it can help a bit. Especially if the filling station isn't on level ground and the car is 'leaning' to the right where the tank opening is located.