1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the main console screen/PC be unlocked?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GeneralGump, Jul 1, 2008.

1. GeneralGump

GeneralGump Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have the package 2 2008 prius. I think it is sorta cool to see the stats on MPG, the graph, and the main picture of the car and what mode it is in while i'm driving. But, my friend has the package 6 and told me his console has a lot more settings built in to his PC. I haven't actually seen them in person, but he told me there are a ton of maintenance features including a menu where you can input what service you have done on the car. I would guess this would also include useful stats like what oil life you are at and maybe some other good info.

Does anyone know if the computer system can be "unlocked" to open up all the features of the computer in my package 2 that the package 6 has? I would think that Toyota would just install the same PC in every prius and have certain ones with features locked out. I guess I could be wrong on that assumption, but I was hoping there was something easy to do to get more features out of my PC. It is also kinda a bummer not having navigation built in to my console. Maybe that is unlockable too?

i know this is a stretch, but any info would be cool!

Thanks!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Many of the MFD screens come only with the NAV package, which comes with a different MFD.

Tom

3. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is no "unlockable" navigation feature. It's a complete system and for all the customizing that goes on here, I've never read of anyone modifying the MFD for navigation, although many have wished it.

In NAV cars there is a DVD "player" under the driver's seat which reads data from an expensive DVD as you drive. Also, the buttons on the MFD display are entirely different. You also get voice commands with the NAV system which can be used for other functions, i.e. to set the cabin temperature to 68 degrees. All of these things are integrated with the MFD and its wiring system, so to a large degree, you're stuck with what you've got. :(

If it's any consolation, the NAV system on the Prius is sucky. My Garmin Nuvi is much simpler and more reliable. Buy one and count yourself lucky.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's really a matter of taste. I've used both the Garmin Nuvi and the Prius NAV, and I prefer the Prius system. If I could have the best of both worlds that would be even better.

Tom

5. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree. One thing I really miss on the Prius NAV is the 3D view, although you get a hint of it with the dual map view when approaching an exit.