1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the Nav System's GPS act like LoJack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by shulmda, Mar 29, 2005.

1. shulmda

shulmda New Member

I recently bought my '05 Prius and when I was asking some questions about the Navigation system, the not very knowledgable sales associate told me that the GPS can act like a tracking system. He said that some people get it instead of LoJack. Clearly if the thief simply detached the battery, this would be useless but I didn't bother to tell him this obvious piece of information.

Although this makes some sense in that the Prius knows its position, it seemed unlikely that it is transmitting this information to anything but the MFD. I just shrugged this off at the time since I figured that the Key Fob is so advanced that the car is unlikely to be stolen for anything but parts and there just aren't enough of the '04s and '05s around to make that worth while (yet)

Has anyone ever heard of a stolen car being located using the GPS/Navigation system?

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You are correct, the car doesn't transmit anything substantial. Only the SKS ID request which goes about 3 feet.