1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the Navi in Gen 3 watch TV or DVD?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hptsang, Jul 3, 2009.

1. hptsang

hptsang Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went to the dealership to test drive the Prius and Venza with my friend. The sales mention that the Navi in Venza can install TV antenna to watch TV when the car is not in motion. I am not sure is that true or not, but is there such of thing for Prius?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think it can be easily done... I had an 01' Camaro SS and at that time I went all out with a sound system, and back then when they were all ohh's and ahh's I had a 7" lcd screen in the head unit. I had a dvd player hooker up to it and a tv antenna as well. Let me tell you the reception was HORRIBLE. No matter what I did, it just sucked and that's here in NYC where you think you'd get strong signals... Don't forget that now you cannot just hook up an antenna, you need the converter box as well...

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As far as I know, the Nav systems in the Venza and the Gen3 are identical, so what can be done with one should be possible with the other. Now . . . the real question is whether it can be done in the first place. No doubt the LCD screen has the capability (just look at the rear camera view), but whether there is an available input of the right quality is the first question. The next questions concern location of the receiver and/or amplifier. Several more follow afterwards, including "Why would you want to do this?" It seems much easier simply to carry my notebook computer with me. You can hook up sound through the AUX channel (perhaps through bluetooth, as well, though I haven't tried that one). TV reception on the notebook is available in many forms (except cable :D).

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's the same as the Gen II, then you'll need a video converter box (to translate the signals from the RCA cables to the MFD). That way, you can play DVDs. As for tv, well you need a darn strong antenna to pick up satellite tv (don't think you'd want to pick up terrestial-based tv). There are sets that you can install but so far, it's for SUVs and wagons because they're rather large and go on the roof rack (but that was a few years ago. They must've shrunk is size by now).

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    or spend $1,000 on one of these? :rolleyes:

Take your DIRECTV anywhere.
    Enjoy 100% digital TV in the stadium parking lot, campground, at the beach, backyard — wherever. DIRECTV® Sat-Go (Satellite-To-Go) combines a crystal clear 17-inch LCD TV, DIRECTV® Receiver and DIRECTV antenna — in one compact entertainment unit. All you need is a clear view of the southern sky.

DIRECTV: Equipment : SatGo : LP