1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the Prius handle the Sunol Grade?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by rwithop, Jan 5, 2005.

1. rwithop

rwithop New Member

Hello,

I have a friend who wants to buy a Prius, but is concerned about whether it would have enough power to handle the Sunol Grade commute to the South Bay from Livermore.

Anybody done it? How was the power? Sufficient?

2. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

My family is going over that right about now headed skiing. I'll let you know how they rate the trip when they get back. 3 adults and gear. Should be interesting but I'm a little worried about letting my 'baby' go on it's first trip without me.

3. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I go over hiway 17 frequently with no problems. I have driven over the sunol grade three times, each time in the fast lane, above the speed limit. Once with two passengers and lots of gear.

No problem.

4. vintagebob

vintagebob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No problem. I've been over it many times on my way to wine country. The Prius kicks butt over my old 89 VW Vanagon.

5. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Mine has handled Donner Summit twice. On the east side, once from Tahoe City and once from Reno, holding 60-65 mph all the way to the summit. I also hit the Caldecott Tunnel pretty regularly. Mileage takes a hit on the way up, but comes back pretty well on the descent. I've never had a problem keeping up with traffic. I don't think that Sunol Grade should be a problem.

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there are grades? lol.. it all seem pretty flat when flying around at high speeds. *shrug* j/k.

I think the prius can handle anything. Even if the battery dies, the engine holds it's own well. It sounds like it's going to blow up.. but holds it's own well. lol.

I must say though. If you are traveling and you can use 101 over any other highway, so do. You get better gas mileage on 101. 85 is cool.. 87 is lame but cool. 92 really sucks for gas mileage. 680 and 280 both suck for gas mileage. 17 is good though.

Now holding 50mpg + hehehe

7. cc_prius

cc_prius New Member

I commute over it and the altamont every day without a problem for the past week. I have yet to feel a lack of power in any driving situation. Of course, it is not as peppy as my old Maxima, but I wouldn't say it is underpowered.