1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the Prius Haul?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by taiwwa, Aug 17, 2013.

1. taiwwa

taiwwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Friend of mine has a subaru Impreza. Tried to move some sandbags in it.

Didn't work out. There's enough interior room, but because he had oversize tires, the suspension got weighed down so much that there wasn't anymore clearance.

That was probably...200-300lbs of sand we tried to move.

How does the Prius fare for moving stuff?

2. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius has about 850 lbs payload. That's passenger and cargo. I personally think you could put more provided you drive really slow. But I don't have any proof to support that.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've put 5 or 6 bags of stone in the back, not sure of the weight, fairly heavy. not sure how strong the floor panel is.

4. Fromthesidekines

Fromthesidekines New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had eight 40 lb bags (320 lbs total) of salt in the back and driven over neighborhood speed humps. Had no issues and it never bottomed out. That said, I would say I was close to true capacity loaded like that.

5. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Prius is of course very spacious, but stated load limit is relatively low, like 820-840lbs. Four larger adults and luggage can overload it.

6. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As others have said the Prius is rated for something like 850 lbs total. With something like sand you would want to distribute the weight throughout the car - some in the back, some on the floor of the back seat, and if you have no passengers some on the floor of the front passenger seat.

For something like this you might want to pop for the $20 truck rental. If you get supplies for a couple of projects the cost is negligible.