1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the Stock Rear View Mirror be Replaced w/ Auto Dimming & Homelink?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by LOLGuy, Apr 18, 2010.

1. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I picked up my new III w. nav on Friday evening and my one beef is really that I miss the auto dimmig rear-view mirror w/ Homelink. I see they can be purchased and was wondering if they can be installed and how difficult folks think that might be. Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

2. jcgee88

jcgee88 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same issue and same interest in seeing
    what the solution is. While you can buy the auto-
    dimming mirror by itself, the challenge is wiring up
    power for it. I sense that the latter is more complicated
    than I am comfortable with doing.

3. Big Al5

Big Al5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you guys followed the threads, you would see many us had it done by the dealer. They use the original Mirror that the mod 4 and 5's have. The harness is in the roof; I was told. It takes less than half hour for the install. Mine was done as part of the "deal" but they said thy charge $346-.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. In fact, you can buy any auto-dimming mirror you want (You can grab one with a compass too)

Here's a Gen 2 installation DIY sheet just to give you an idea. I don't know if anyone's made a DIY for the Gen 3

ElectroChromic Mirror (ECM) Installation

5. Bob K.

Bob K. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can add a auto dimming mirror to your 2010 Prius. Toyota sells the mirror with auto-dim and homelink. The job takes about 1 1/2 hours for a non tech to do. The dealer will want over $200 for the part.

Toyota Part Number:
    PT374-47100

6. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, TP and Bob!

John

7. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Interesting... When I ordered my Prius, they told me I could indeed purchase the mirror and camera separately - the price they quoted me was 950$ (!) (which did not include time for installation). I will check again with the part number you provided...

8. Bob K.

Bob K. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The mirror that I quoted has the auto dimming and home link. It does not have the camera system.

1 person likes this.
  9. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It states it is not available for people that have the moonroof. Has anybody tired to install it in one? I want to install it and wanted to make sure all the wiring is there. Any ideas?

10. jungsuk

jungsuk Prius with Leather

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer in Canada (Ottawa - Tony Graham Toyota) said that it would be $1,195 for the part itself. WHAT!? Can anyone in Canada let me know otherwise? I don't really need Homelink (would be nice), but I want auto-dimming.

11. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    About $195 shipped right here.

12. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mirror and harness, without homelink and compass is under $100.

13. mmichaell

mmichaell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hope the new mirror is not too big. My base mirror is big enough to be a little annoying, as it feels like it covers up a good part of my vision. Can't image having it larger. Would be a good idea to sit into a Prius with the homelink+auto-dimming and see how you feel about the mirror size.

14. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    got mine $25 form a member here, the wire cover cost $8, and I already had some wire...

15. jungsuk

jungsuk Prius with Leather

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can someone point to where the directions are for installing this mirror?

16. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Coincidence. Just had my "flip-flap" mirror replaced by a Gentex auto-dimming with Homelink & Compass.

I originally bought that mirror for use in my Gen II, where it replaced a similar mirror which lacked the compass.

I bought the mirror on eBay -- came from a Toyota Avalon.

Direct plug into my Gen II, as the connector was already right there.

I swapped the compass mirror out of the Gen II when I traded it in, and just had it installed in my 2010 Prius III. The III does have wires which can be used for connections, but it does not have the plug which goes into the mirror.

So, if you buy a new mirror, make sure it comes with the harness. If you buy used, try to get the harness with it and, if not, you can buy a harness kit.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Btw guys, just a suggestion. Install the mirror upside down (unless it has a compass). That way, the sensor will be above the rear spoiler and will dim more readily. I can rotate the mirror upside down in my Gen II but I cannot do the same for the Gen III because the overhead console is in the way. I'm not sure if it's an issue if you install it upside down before securing it to the base.

18. tbran

tbran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello all. I am a new member to the forum. I just bought a 2010 Gen III and the dealer said they would swap out my autodim/homelink mirror from my 2007 Gen II to the my new Gen III. Now, the auto dim works, but not the homelink. I am very disappointed. I am taking it back to the dealer on Monday, but I am afraid they don't know what they are doing. I contacted Mito Corp. and they told me it was a wiring problem. I have a black wire going to pin 6, a black wire going to pin 8 and a black/white wire going to pin 10 on the connector. On another thread, I found that the wiring was supposed to be black to pin 6 (auto dim), black/white to pin 8 (gnd), and red to pin 10 (homelink). This was for an earlier Prius; not the 2010. I measured the voltages between pins 6 & 8 vs. pin 10 and found 14+ VDC on pin 6 and 7+ VDC on Pin 8. Any help you guys can give me will be deeply appreciated. The system worked flawlessly on the 2007. BTW, the dealer called Gentex and they said the mirror could be swapped out. Thanks.

19. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Question on the isssue of the spoiler blocking light ... how hard is it to get the mounting piece (glued to the windshield) that the mirror attaches to off the windshield without breaking either ... I think I have an inch and perhaps another fraction thereof by which I could raise the mirror's position and see what difference it makes.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no idea and have no intetion of touching that glued piece.