1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the temp display be changed to Celsius from Fahrenheit on the 2008 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by timriley, Nov 26, 2007.

1. timriley

timriley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Couldn't find an answer to this question here - the local Toyota dealer here in San Diego claims that the display can be changed to Celsius no problem. I can't seem to figure out how... does anyone know if this is possible?

2. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timriley @ Nov 26 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]544326[/snapback]</div>
    AFAIK the only thing you can change is the speedometer from MPH to KPH (and your mileage readout on the Consumption screen will still be in MPG). If you want degrees in Celsius, you have to purchase it in a country where that is the standard. The salesman is an idiot (really? gosh, how could that happen??????).

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I believe that mcbrunnhilde is correct: The Prius sold in civilized countries shows temperature in Celsius. The Prius sold in atavistic countries uses Fahrenheit, and I don't think you can switch. The speedometer (but not the odometer) can be switched between km and miles with the button labeled accordingly.

4. timriley

timriley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thank you for the replies.... believe it or not this is a deal killer for me. I can't stand dealing in useless Fahrenheit/Miles...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 26 2007, 07:10 PM) [snapback]544452[/snapback]</div>

5. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timriley @ Nov 27 2007, 01:04 AM) [snapback]544592[/snapback]</div>
    I think the whole world is using the metric system and usa is the only country using f, mile, yard, inches, ft..blah blah....

wasn't there a failure on some space project because of the unit difference? ....

welcome to america :p

6. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sea-horsea @ Nov 27 2007, 12:10 AM) [snapback]544610[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know about the space program, but there was a plane crash some years ago due to the fact that refueling in Canada was in kilograms, and they had to convert it to gallons or some such thing (or something like that...memory fails me). After that crash, I think refueling was more standardized so pilots didn't have to make error-prone conversions.

Ahhh...found a link to the incident...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    England is funnier than USA. They can buy petrol in litres so you don't need to worry you might be sold shrunken US gallons with only 128 fluid ounces rather than the real gallon with 8 x 20 fluid ounce pints or 160 fluid ounces. Then your speedo is still in miles per hour and road distances in miles, even 1/4s 1/8ths and 16ths, speed limits are in miles per hour. How funny is that? No metres for the brits.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    On my 2004, I thought I spotted a hidden service menu option to specify the country of delivery in the MFD. This may or may not change things to Celsius for you. Search the forums on how to enter this menu, but make your changes carefully and one at a time.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried changing that once but it defaults back to your home country, maybe I missed a step.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sea-horsea @ Nov 27 2007, 03:10 AM) [snapback]544610[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it was on one of the recent Mars missions. JPL used one set of units for engine thrust specifications, NASA used the other, and as a result, the mission ended up making a hole instead of a soft landing. What surprises me is that they didn't catch the discrepancy. All engineers are trained to carry units in calculations, which means the units should have been specified. Given that, it's a trivial matter to convert between units (although it's a PITA doing it on an everyday basis). There is an old engineering proverb that states that data will always be specified in the most inconvenient units; for example, speed will be in furlongs per fortnight.

Tom

11. laurence_fowler

laurence_fowler New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In the UK, distances on roads are shown in miles (and fractions thereof) but schools teach the metric system for just about everything (which will confuse generations now coming toadulthood).

Celsius is so much better as measure of temperature. At 0 or lower it's rather cold. At 40 it's rather hot. At 100, you evapourate!

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timriley @ Nov 26 2007, 10:04 PM) [snapback]544592[/snapback]</div>
    if you say it, i believe it. i talk with people every day who have all kinds of convictions about how the world should be and how they should be treated without regards to how their actions affect the way they are treated.

so, i hope you enjoy the car you decide to get

have a nice day

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timriley @ Nov 26 2007, 10:04 PM) [snapback]544592[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt you will find a car sold in the U.S. that lets you specify kilometers on the odometer or Celsius on the thermometer. But even if you do, the Prius is so far ahead of any other family sedan built today in terms of technology, fuel efficiency, and pollution, that it would be sad if you allowed this one item to divert you to another car. For example, would you rather incur the costs of a transmission re-build down the road? The Prius has no transmission. Etc.

If you do find a car sold in the U.S. that allows you to specify the units you want, please post the information here. Someone else may be interested as well.

14. acdii

acdii Active Member

I always thought F was more accurate than C. Screw it lets all use Kelvin.

15. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 27 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]544734[/snapback]</div>
    You could do it with the Audi A6 for at least the 2001 - 2004 model years. It was a dealer scan-tool setting, but for around $100 you could get a cable and a program called VAG-COMM and do all that stuff yourself. I would be very surprised if that was dropped from the current models. Of course the A6 costs 2X the Prius and burns 2.5X the gas and the gas has to be premium grade.

- Tom

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ Nov 27 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]544739[/snapback]</div>
    because Kelvin and Celcius uses the same scale with different starting points, then they are both equal in "accuracy". Fahrenheit because its graduations are measuring a smaller amount would imply more accuracy but only if the measuring device reads in whole increments only.

17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, if you really want a Prius with metric readout, you can always buck the trend and buy one in Canada and import it into the US. Of course, that would cost you about $11,000 more. ;)

The setting is in a menu but you can't change it. The dealer can't change it with the THHT. I suspect Toyota could change it, but probably wouldn't. They'd think you just wanted to export the car to Canada. ;)

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ Nov 27 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]544739[/snapback]</div>
    Kelvin and Celcius differ only in their zero points. Kelvin is more useful for science because proportionality works without conversion. Celsius is more useful for everyday life, because the freezing and boiling points of water at sea level are real and important natural values.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 27 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]544815[/snapback]</div>
    Accuracy is a characteristic of a measuring device, not of a measurement scale. Marking a device in smaller increments (e.g. Fahrenheit vs. Celsius) does not make it more accurate. You are confusing accuracy with precision, a very common mistake. I have an altimeter with one-foot precision but only about 50-foot accuracy. It is ridiculous to have very fine precision when you have only very rough accuracy, as it is misleading. But that, too, is common.

Only a stupid, atavistic, and scientifically illiterate nation would refuse to convert to Celsius.

19. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

its all good...we all gonna die....

20. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 27 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]544930[/snapback]</div>
    Excuse me, but I find your tone a little offensive. If you don't like the nation, you can always leave OR try to make it better. However, I noticed that you live in this country and enjoy its fruits.... So please...

As far as precision: I am afraid you are wrong. The smaller increments that the Fahrenheit scale provides gives you better RESOLUTION.... it does not provide better accuracy or precision. Here is the definition of precision from a dictionary:

1- The state or quality of being precise; exactness.
    OR
    2- The ability of a measurement to be consistently reproduced.
    OR
    3- The number of significant digits to which a value has been reliably measured.

On the other hand, resolution, based on the same dictionary, is defined as:

The fineness of detail that can be distinguished in an image, as on a video display terminal.