1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the theft of a Catalytic Converter cause a Gen 3 not to run?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by donzoh1, Mar 26, 2023.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was considering buying a Gen 3 as a project. The seller claims the cat was stolen and caused it not to run. I would expect a P0420 code after that but how would that prevent the car from running? Are there coolant lines that would have been cut?

Anyway, the engine has already been sold and the guy wants $1500 which I think would be a bit much, especially not knowing the condition of the HV battery. I'm having trouble finding Gen 3 cars in junkyards which would be my source generally for a new ICE. I could get a JDM on eBay for 1500 delivered though with only 52K miles. My gut tells me not to pay more than $1000 for the car, although the body and interior seems to be pretty good.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I guess you're saying $1,000 for a car with the engine that's been removed I guess it a salvage operation or is it somebody's house so when you go over you know you need to look real good at what was done because you know a lot of times are the salvage operation there's no need to be caring about taking the stuff out because nothing's going back in lines get cut all of that nonsense I don't care what they tell you I've worked at a salvage yard or right big one too

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A Gen 3 does have an exhaust-to-coolant heat exchanger, just aft of both catalytic converters. If the thief is exuberant with the saw, the hoses get cut too, and the coolant goes on the ground. That might not cause the car not to run (at least, not right away), but you wouldn't choose to run it like that.

There's also a heated oxygen sensor aft of the first cat. If those wires get cut or ripped apart and the heater power shorts to ground, that'll blow a fuse, and that will cause the car not to run.