1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the XM module be installed behind the dash?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mamerica, Sep 20, 2007.

1. mamerica

mamerica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is there room for the XM module behind the dashboard? Can the antenna lead be run up the door post if one is willing to drill through the roof to mount the antenna?

I used to install radios in Taxi Cabs and that's the way we did it. It would be a lot easier than running all the way to the back of the vehicle. Has anyone done it this way? Is there a shorter harness available?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is room behind the dash and, I believe, that's where the control module is routinely installed by the dealers now. If you wanna drill holes in your roof, go for it. I suspect there are better ways without drilling though.
    Not aware if there's a shorter harness, but you can always just zip tie it shorter.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OutOfHere @ Sep 20 2007, 08:22 AM) [snapback]515190[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, there is room for the module. There are a couple of "nooks and crannies" you could choose from to install it in.

As for the antenna, I can't answer that question. Partly out of laziness, I just placed my antenna on the dash. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

I figured I'd at least try it there, and then move it to the roof later if the signal was poor. Once in a while the signal drops out briefly on roads with a heavy tree canopy, but that's seasonal (when the leaves are out), and it doesn't happen enough to justify moving the antenna to the roof.

The white you see at the base of the antenna is just a piece of rubberized shelf liner to help keep it from sliding. This works well; it accomplishes the task yet allows me to move it around to clean the dash.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't need to drill. Just run the liner along the floor panels or above the doors and out the hatch. Pull down the rubber on the top center of the hatch door and there's a cut-out for the wire that's specifically for this purpose. Then just stick it right behind the antenna.