1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can this CV axle be reused?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Hybrid GUID, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Hybrid GUID

Hybrid GUID New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Community,

My front left wheel bearing needed to be replaced so when I was pulling the wheel hub assembly out, I forgot I left my axle nut on (I put it back on so I could hammer in the axle for the wheel hub assembly to slide right off) which caused me to disconnect a good portion of the CV half shaft assembly per below. 20191214_162823.jpg

Can this be re-used? I didn't feel like I put that much pressure to pull it out. If it can be re-used, what do I need to do to re-install it properly? Fill it up with oil and slide it right back in?

Thanks in advance!

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes. Just push it back together and use new clamp. If some grease got out ad new to get correct amount in. If any dirt got in disassemble it completely and wash every part and then put it together with new clamps and grease. Even if somehow the inner cv-joint of the cv-axle got damaged you could just install a new inner cv-joint and keep the rest of of the old cv-axle.

Cv-joint grease grease is a special grease so only use it on cv-joints.