1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Can Toyota's New Plug-In Prius Peel Off Impatient Tesla Customers Waiting For Model 3?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    My thoughts are that it's highly unlikely any Tesla Model 3 reservation holders are going to opt for a Prius Prime.

Compared to a Volt though, they might be able to steal some sales away due to the Toyota reliability reputation, as well as some folks still harboring anti-GM feelings due to the EV-1 debacle, and the Prime being cheaper on sticker price (and let's be honest, some people will buy a car solely for that, everything else be darned).

But those wanting more electric range, or a more fun to drive feeling, will definitely favor the Volt over the Prime.

Ultimately though, I hope that the Prime does well, and introduces more people who may otherwise have never driven a plug-in vehicle before.

The more plug-ins, the cheaper the costs, the sooner we can get off our oil addiction, and the sooner we can see plug-in trucks and SUV's as more plug-in sales justifies electric drivetrain R&D (research and development) in bigger vehicles.

EDIT: Forgot to include link to the article:

Can Toyota's New Plug-In Prius Peel Off Impatient Tesla Customers Waiting For Model 3?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree. i won't say none, but i would think only a few, whatever number that may be. the thing with 400k model 3 deposits is, no one really knows, and each depositor has a different approach. some will be hard core, waiting patiently and buying as soon as possible.
    others will wait until the prices drop, which will take longer. still others will grow inpatient and buy something else, or drop out altogether. there's no way of knowing how many of each.
    part of it will depend on tesla, who appear to be struggling a bit with current model production.

RCO likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For those that get impatient waiting for the Model 3, I would think they are more likely to go Bolt or gen2 Leaf; maybe i3 with those that want a luxury brand.

The Prime might be attractive enough for some to get while still waiting for their 3.

RCO likes this.
  4. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I canceled my reservation after I waited in line the day it was released. I would have bought a Prime but the seating of 4 killed it. I decided to cancel not because of the wait but not happy with the current quality issues Tesla still has. I'm going to wait a few more years to see if they can work out the kinks and become more reliable. I also know two other people that canceled for the same reason.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When they discover the limitations of the charging network, they will need a cross-country car. The Prime is an excellent choice followed by the other plug-ins. Having 'done the experiment,' we're keeping the 2010 Prius for one more year . . . maybe.

Bob Wilson

inferno likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    then?:cool:

iplug and Tideland Prius like this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Supercharger network is always expanding. By the time they get their Model 3, it should fit more peoples needs for long trips.

But not for everyone, which is why I see the Prime as an in addition too as oppose to instead of.
    I thought Bob was going to mod it for a shot at a speed record?

austingreen and bisco like this.
  8. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Any thoughts on how much risk there is of used Prime values being depressed by the Model 3, once it and the supercharger network, get more established.

And maybe especially when full autopilot is implemented on the Car. Full autopilot its a HUGE deal for me, if the car can come from my wife's work to pick me up, or drop me off in a city centre and then go and park itself elsewhere for me where parking is easier, or even driving me o.j. long journeys whilst I sleep ... so many possibilities.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    used primes will be like used pips. don't need tesla to submarine them.

Trollbait, Zythryn and bwilson4web like this.
  10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As I was driving down a long stretch of highway at 5AM today, my wife and I both noticed many long areas of recently patched asphalt surface with no painted lines to follow, then poor worn out lines other places. As I was on my way to cataract surgery and she had been complaining about difficulty seeing especially at night, the subject of a car driving itself was on our minds. Every time I see a new patch of road, a temporary detour, etc I think what a flexible thing the human eye/brain combination is for most of us to be able to cope in uncertainty, with limited data, in an environment we haven't seen before.

Maybe in a place with long established roads and good markings well kept up.

I'm skeptical until things are better proven.

So is your other car a GT4?

11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I think half the Tesla thing is the halo effect, the fan boy enthusiasm for the silicon valley and Musk association, that sort of thing. Not for Prius, no matter how good. It lacks that newness, that aura that I am special because I drive this car. I don't see the Plug In seriously impacting the Tesla Model 3 as a second or urban car...no matter how good and reliable. Now give me $4 gas and availability NOW as opposed to having to wait till the 200,000th one is produced and that might change things.

Speaking of now, I see 2 Bolts in VA, none in NC. Nearest is 176 miles from me. Not cheap even with the rebate.

jjmerp likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Tesla recently (past few months) poached Volvo's renowned automotive head of interior/design. That should really make a difference on the complaints of fit & finish on the inside.

13. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    What are the prices like for used PiPs in the states, relative to non plugin Prii?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i paid 30k for my 2012. with 50,000 miles, it's worth about 10k in perfect condition.

people are buying them over the lift back, even if they don't plug in, because they are cheaper.

15. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks. A lot cheaper?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nah, just a little. but everyone wants to know, 'why can i get a pip for the same or less than a lift back'?

not everyone bites, maybe due to no spare tire, or storage under the deck, but many do. you're talking about cars that were $4-5,000. different when new, after tax credit.

GT4Prius likes this.