1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CAN-view features

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Frank Hudon, Mar 2, 2006.

?
  1. graphs and colors

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. OBD11 and MG temps

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

on the OBD11 code set we could have MG temp and the abilty to read and clear codes. Or you can have graphs and colors. What are your thoughts?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the graphs are great for the kids, but i always have it on one txt screen or another. i would gladly give up the graphs.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gladly give up graphs. I wouldn't want pure black & white if it could be avoided...esp. for the Green EV Mode indicator and such, but if it were one or the other I'd take the OBD II stuff....esp. if it had the trip mileage functionality of the Scangage or Dynoscan tools.

Also, I'd rather have a 3rd text screen with the BHP and Kwh stuff that's on the graphs rather than the graphs...I just don't use them, their too busy and not very helpful...IMO. But they look pretty.

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    More data, please. I can't get enough! :D

5. Frank Hudon

More data=more questions

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ask me again after I've got it in and have used it for a while. (It arrived yesterday, but I won't even decide whether to attempt the install myself until I return from Mexico.)

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Everyone should know where I stand. More data. I have been diligently trying to find MG and inverter temps. I look at the graphs and now and again but am usually on the text pages. Adding the ability to read DTCs would be good I could sell my ScanGage. I am not clear under what conditions I would like to clear a DTC but it might be necessary.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who's the one who voted for graphs/colors....you're the outlier making your point of view important so we're sure we're considering all sides.

9. Frank Hudon

one that has a CAN-view and a ScanGauge as well and doesn't want to feel ripped off?

EDIT: it was probably Norm to avoid all the work :lol:

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would make sense!

11. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I voted for the graphs. Mainly because I already have a scan guage, and may get the Toyota tester too so I can work on the car once it is out of warranty.

Now if it would replace the Toyota tester I might reconsider! I don't need all features, but I eventually need a way to set the pumps on etc to change fluids, do battery tests, and want to be able to change all default settable stuff like alarms, AC on with auto or not, etc.

So just clearing and reading trouble codes is not adequate.

And for driving I like the graphs, but I did ask Norm for a version with much smaller graphs, so we can have more on a page, more like a text page with graphs between like the throttle horizontal graph.

12. Frank Hudon

you know Tom I doubt that Toyota would sell you the updates. They would sell you the tester but as all their cars are on the software, I would guess your THHT would come with the original software but updates.........no way. Just my guess working for a Toyota dealer, your not going to get any of their business if they can help it.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya i dont think they will either. need to be able to support their service centers

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now we hafta hunt you down and kill you.... :huh:

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok... graph we can accept...but graphs is out of the question!!

16. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    mORE DATA PLEASE.. i USE THE FORMATTED TEXT SCREEN THE MOST..

17. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I like the update I got but they are available I read here before. From the web site I think.

Anyway I just want to be able to do basic stuff like change my brake fluid etc. without going to a dealer.
    I like the update I have and won't let them touch it again unless they find something really critical.

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I voted the way I did because I want the data that appears that using the OBDII to query the ECUs is the only way to get at some very interesting information. Also I am fixated on MG temps and Inverter temps. The graphs are ok and now that we can program one to look at mystery items it is way better. I also agree with efusco I would like to avoid back and white. If we had to go that way could we do black lettering on white background? Would it be possible to have a simple symbol graph ala the throttle option on the graph page? Just trying to understand the limits other than the fact that there is only so much space for code.

19. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

OK inverter temperatures might be worth giving up graphs for!

But I want it all. Be glad to trade in for the deluxe model at double the price when it comes out if it does it all!

20. _echo

_echo Junior Member

I like the graph screen for stuff like the recently introduced miles/gallon, brake pressure, it was also really helpful to mentally picture what MG1 was doing...
    If there was an elegant way of putting that alongside the throttle bargraph '>' thing at the bottom, that might prove very useful. Hmm.. On second thought, that would get REALLY confusing..

Of course, I don't think I'd mind the color scheme going away.. Just not black and white...

Graphs are actually useful when trying to look at certain 'analog' type parameters such as the complex interaction between your foot and MG1.. It makes a lot more sense in graph mode..

For all other things slow changing things, text is just fine.

Mini graphs instead of the min/max would be a really cool feature.. Probably better implemented with a laptop connected to the serial/scart ports...