1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can we get out and beat the **%$ out of an SUV driver?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Robert Taylor, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

For the first time in my life I wanted to get out and confront an SUV driver, one of them I think bumped me slighly in the school drop off line.

After we did the drop off, we have the length of the school on the left, temp parking on the right and I obey the 5 miles per hour regulation for school grounds. This oaf apparently doesn't and nosedived the SUV when it nearly rearended me after having floored it after discharging its passenger load, I could see the front end of that GM hog porposing up and down with those manuvers. There are kids coming into the school, crossing that road across the entire stretch of road fronting the school, but this oaf seems intent on intimidating me into adopting that dangerous style of driving.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I never have seen such aggressive behavior before from another driver

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Moved to Fred's, let's not let this become an SUV bashing thread. The vehicle could've just as easily have been another Prius or a Caddy, or a 'Vette. Bash the irresponsible driver, not the vehicle.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have read about Regen Braking mode - - and how it's only supposed to be used going down long hills to relieve the friction brakes. But I have found a better use.

I do not advise this nor will I accept responsibility when it backfires on someone else.

I have come to realize that without a trunk, cars behind me appear to be closer than what I'm used to. But I have also figured out that when I can no longer see their headlights through the lower rear window, they are just too dammed close. And this is while moving, not at a stoplight.

When I'm in a line of traffic and there's an @$$ in any make/model of car right on my butt, I slip into . I feather the pedal and maintain a safe following distance as usual. But when I let up on the gas, that regen kicks in and Priapus drops speed like a Pink Floyd fan (sorry, couldn't resist (and I do love PF)). I have found that timing is everything. If I time it just right, they are just getting ready to accelerate and I and they have to jump on their brakes. It usually only takes once for them to figure out that I can and will slow down without brake lights, though some really brain-dead people take twice to catch on. They follow at a safe distance after that.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: I have heard (and experienced) that some of the most hazardous driving conditions for minor fender benders are to be found at school drop-off/pick-up lanes and in grocery store parking lots.

Looks like your experience serves to confirm this. Seems good advice to try to avoid these when possible. :roll:

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Done, No kids! :-D

6. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

From the view through my window in the office of our elementary school I can tell you that school parking lots are certainly among the top 5 most dangerous places to be, in the morning, especially. I have to wonder WHERE these parents left their brains!

I guess once THEIR kids are safe, the rest can watch out for themselves. Very scarey.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm... Actually, with the Camry/Corolla, I usually just tap the brake pedal to make it seem like I'm gonna brake. I love to see their car nosedive into the pavement in the rear view mirror. That usually keeps them back. Most tailgaters don't actually want to bump into you since (at least in BC) if one car rear ends the other, the driver behind is automatically in the wrong.

8. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

If you are driving without your lights on you can turn them on and they will think you are braking, too. Keep them on their toes!

9. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

The tap the brake technique I have long used for those who seem to be closing from a distance behind too rapidly, but this incident was in a 5 miles per hour school zone.

I did see another dad nearly run over his own kid one time when oblivious jr. walked in front of oblivious senior's car. The kid got out with his Marine Corps invasion backpack load and was staggering along in front of dads car, dad wanted to goose it and leave the front of the pickup line.

He nearly nailed the kid too.

That usage of the brake gear for a tailgater? I might think about doing that with one of our tailgating members of the local Keystone Kops, but wouldn't the computer show that I was in Brake gear when officer tailgater rear ends me? I really don't want to be in a wreck of any kind anywhere now.

10. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I could understand , Robert, that operational codes pulled from the computer would indicate that you were in mode. However, I wouldn't think it would come to that. Call me naive, but when someone rear-ends you, it's because they were following too close and/or not paying attention. I wouldn't think that anyone would follow the logic: "that Prius was rear-ended, we'd better pull the codes." Besides, I would just ignorantly say that I was trying out the gear to help me maintain a safe distance from the car in front of me.