1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can We Have a Separate Grouping of Polls?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by ghostofjk, May 13, 2006.

1. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I suggest Danny consider grouping most old polls where they can be accessed easily. Since it wouldn't be a Forum per se, it could simply be entitled "Past Polls" or whatever.

PC obviously continues to have a heavy influx of new members. Some subjects they can address through the Search mechanism, but none of them would know of any old polls unless a more long-term member dug one out, knowing it was back there somewhere.

It was better than nothing that old polls rotated briefly onto the home page, where a few newbies might catch them and add to them, but that's no longer the case (and, I think, overall a good thing---EXCEPT that it effectively killed most past polls forever).

Many past polls have potential long-term interest, especially those relating to PC "demographics", e.g., PCers who use Macs, gender of PC members, where people went to college, education and income levels, etc. Many new members might be interested in adding to these, as well as seeing the results to date.

New members could also scan them (there aren't all THAT many) before starting a new poll whose subject may have been addressed in a past poll. A member may start a new poll (e.g. a new Wal-Mart poll) and be discouraged if there's not much response, not knowing there's a fairly recent one already out there.

Older "frivolous" polls (one on where you can get the best doughnuts comes to mind), or ones that inherently had a short "shelf life" (e.g., the poll on Schmika's daughter and their car situation) could be buried in the PC Poll Graveyard. Admittedly, this would take a little judgement, but so what? If the objective is worthy, no big problem.

As long as we don't chuck the infamous "Have you slept in your Prius?" gem. :lol: B)

Any support for this idea?

2. tanteb & rgrpick

tanteb & rgrpick New Member

I suspect there have been a lot of polls run here on PC that I'd find interesting, but for which I probably wouldn't take the time to figure out a search mechanism. I am curious about the WalMart poll, though, think I'll look for it now. Bet it is a FHOP thread.
    Hmmmm, having brain fog, hope above is clear.

3. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

*kick* hoping to have seen by appropriate authorities

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ May 13 2006, 07:36 PM) [snapback]254923[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm...why don't you post a poll on it? :lol:

5. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 16 2006, 07:06 AM) [snapback]256221[/snapback]</div>
    I could do something more thorough than that: I could retrieve past polls, say, five at a time (maybe per day) and boost them to visibility, for people's perusal and possible comment. Then there would be equal opportunity for input. It would be a bit tedious, but, I think, still worth doing.

But I wouldn't do it without "authorization" or request.

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ May 13 2006, 06:36 PM) [snapback]254923[/snapback]</div>
    I like the idea. Of course, this could also be partially fixed by a decent search engine. (Trying to find a poll on something is pretty tough, unless you remember a specific word in it that is uncommon). This search engine, sorry Danny, pretty much sucks. I can't get it to search on more than one word (apparently searches on a phrase in that case).

I read today that somebody had a poll on our age, which is a worthwhile poll, I think. I was wondering why they didn't post a link to that poll, so I tried to find that poll, and still haven't done so.... :angry:

It would be fun to look thru past polls when you're bored, I would think.

7. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Finally, a smart person. :)

Seriously, I would think, as nerfer says, some people WOULD appreciate being able to sift through some of our demographic info, no matter how flawed it is. It's all we got. Danny's a believer in a "sense of community" for PC, as am I, and it's why I've been here nearly a year.

About a week after I posted the idea, I spent a couple of hours going back through about half of both the Main Forum and FHOP "pages" looking for polls. As some of you know, I "kicked up" a bunch of them so newbies could see them.

I now think having a designated poll Forum would be a good idea. They could be sub-grouped by subject matter, but I don't even think that's necessary, though it could be in view of probable future growth