1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can wont start after replacing combination meter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by misterdean, Sep 15, 2024 at 12:06 PM.

1. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    any ideas?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You'll have to describe won't start you mean not ready? You're ready and you can back up and you go forward and what It goes forward until something dies it readies you floor the gas pedal in neutral the engine does not start or it sounds like it's starting but then it dies and you get the code for the engine does not start? What scenario do you have?.

3. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    figured it out. the keyless button got pressed, so thats why that would not start. apparently, there is some kind of chip in the key case. i replaced the case a few years ago, and was not aware of this chip. i didn't open the case yet, but i assume the chip got thrown away with the old case. so thats why it would not start with the key inserted. i'm hearing there is nothing i can do to make inserting the key work besides go to toyota and spend 1500 for a whole new system thats programmed to a new chip?

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you have the original to the car key fob remote the metal key works your driver's door open that up like you're going to put a battery in it that should be a gray sticker in there You need to take a picture of that gray sticker then go to your local well versed automotive locksmith He should be able to make a clone of your transponder I do believe with all the numbering and the business that you have plus you're old remote even though you don't have the chip I think this can be done and usually it works when inserted regardless? I would think isn't that right. It's been a while since I've forgot to put the chip in the remote and then had to do it later for whatever reason but I thought slotted the thing always worked out of the remote in your pocket no transponder chip and it won't work I think that is correct but either way I don't think you have to spend $1,500 a well versed real automotive locksmith that does motorcycles and all that should have the machine that deals with all the transponder business and then when he looks on his machines website and all of that he'll get the lowdown and whatever he needs to know about those types of transponders but I think it can be done for a couple of hundred

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm also probably incorrectly assuming you have SKS a silverbacked remote If the key buttons pressed in and I can be problematic under the steering wheel