1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you add bluetooth after the fact?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mooney, Mar 9, 2007.

1. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking at the Package #3 because I really would like the BT integration, but to be honest, I don't need any of the other options in there.

I'd be perfectly happy with Package #2 and BT.

So the question is, can that be added after the fact?

Thanks!

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I would imagine it could be done, but would be too expensive to be workable.

There are BT kits which will do just as well, if not better. There are even some portable NAV systems that have BT.

3. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Mar 9 2007, 10:05 AM) [snapback]402764[/snapback]</div>
    True, but then I would lose the cool screen integration...

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mooney @ Mar 9 2007, 06:57 AM) [snapback]402759[/snapback]</div>
    Not integrated into the MFD. Aftermarket ones are the only one I can think of.

In that case, you might as well just get a BT headset.

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an '06 Package 3. Bought a Bluetooth capable Garmin StreetPilot GPS. Not integrated--but I find this to be an advantage, since there's enough going on with the MFD already AND, more importantly, no lockouts. (And the BT headset option doesn't really work for me--I've never found one that is comfortable AND fits in my--small--ear canal.) Never mind that it all came out less expensive. Even with buying the aftermarket satellite radio that DOES go through the MFD...

6. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Mar 10 2007, 06:34 AM) [snapback]403296[/snapback]</div>
    What's the factory bluetooth lockout?

7. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mooney @ Mar 10 2007, 08:12 PM) [snapback]403614[/snapback]</div>
    I think that (as with the nav) certain functions are unavailable when the car is in motion.

8. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Mar 10 2007, 11:37 PM) [snapback]403628[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, I think you're right, I think I just read that you can't dial using the screen while driving... Bummer...

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Coastal sells a lockpick that takes care of the BT. I cut a speed sensor wire and installed a switch. If I need to dial when moving I switch the sensor off so it thinks the car isn't moving. This also frees up the Message display on the FM radio. This also controls the 5-minute bars on the Consumption screen and the turning wheels of the Energy screen, so you can't leave it off.

You can dial by voice when moving, I think.

10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mooney @ Mar 10 2007, 08:48 PM) [snapback]403634[/snapback]</div>
    Not related to Bluetooth, but you also can't enter/change/search the NAV while driving (although there IS a hack for that--which you need to do every time you start the car).