1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you check hybrid battery health on Prius like the 12V?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nfschlaack, Aug 2, 2013.

1. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Greetings guys,

Just checking to see if it is possible to check the hybrid battery "health" through the Prius like it is possible to check the health of the 12V through the main display. I'm asking because it seems like my '04 is starting to not hold as strong a charge as it used to. I did just get through some mountainous driving where it drained the HV down to one bar and took longer than I'd like for it to even get to two. It will get a charge to the green bar status but doesn't seem to hold it as long as it used to. It has 163K miles on it and outside of the inverter coolant pump I've had zero issues with it.

I may be over reacting but any imput or even some reassuring words would be appreciated. Many thanks.

dougz4m likes this.
  2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the MFD doesn't have the capability of displaying traction battery block voltages.

You will need to use an interface for the OBDII port underneath the steering wheel to achieve the ability. Priidash and Torque are two applications that run on of a laptop, which are
    the least expensive ways of reading the battery block voltages.

And yes, it seems your traction battery may be getting "tired". Until the red triangle of death makes its unwelcome appearance some day (hopefully not too soon), there's not much you can do.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The HV battery health can be determined by reading out the module pair voltages and series resistances. You can do this with either a "Prius Aware" OBD2 reader:
    • Toyota Techstream - expensive
    • Autoingenuity (sp?) - more reasonable, but some limitations
    • ScanGauge2 - $150
    • Priidash - Open source "techy" SW for Windows/Linux plus a BlueTooth OBD2 Dongle
    • Torque Pro - a $5 Android app again with a BlueTooth OBD2 Dongle
    Or by purchasing a $50 OBD2 data logger at: Traction Battery Health Monitor for Toyota Prius - OpenElectrons.com

JeffD

MinaAoM and HaroldW like this.
  4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The mini VCI from eBay could get added to that list.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  5. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought techstream software and the mini-vci cable. It works great.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    wjtracy likes this.
  8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It sounds like you need to get one of the Traction Battery Health Monitors listed above. You plug it in your OBDII port, drive the car, download the file and examine the battery voltages, resistances, temperatures, etc. This will give you a baseline for the current health of your battery.

Then periodically you can do this again and compare to your baseline and see if there are any unusual trends. Also if you notice a change in the way the battery behaves you can plug in the monitor and compare the data to your baseline data.

9. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Many thanks for the replies guys. I will bookmark this thread for reference as I believe it was related to where I was driving when I encountered the problem. I am back in St. Louis now, and I havene't seen the problem happen again since crossing the great divide. It's basically been stationary at the "full blue bar" level nearly 100% of the time sice I got back.

Again, I appreciate your input.

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Apart from those people that do not have a laptop or equivalent I do not see the point of buying the "Traction battery health monitor".
    The Mini VCI with Techstream comes at half the price, monitors the HV battery including temperatures for as long as you have room on the hard drive "not 2 to 10 seconds", and is capable of virtually every service task you can wish for. Plus you can do this on the move if you wish "preferably by someone in the passengers seat". The TB health monitor would have to be unplugged to be able to see it.

John (Britprius)

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Traction Battery Health Monitor is only $45. I actually got mine for free since I was a Beta test.

Can you get the Mini VCI, cable, and all for $20? Plus you need to have a laptop.

If I had a laptop I would probably be interested in the Mini VCI. If someone figures out how to run this on an iPad let me know.

In lieu of having Techstream, the SGII and the Battery Health Monitor suffice for me now.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The BH monitor appears to be $49.95 and yes you can buy the mini VCI with Techstream for under $25. Also the first line of my post does state "apart from those not having a laptop or equivalent". The mini VCI is capable of so much more for people that that do have a laptop including complete HV battery monitoring and the ability to control and monitor the cooling fan.

John (Britprius)

13. 06_PriusDriver

06_PriusDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi there I am looking at buying a mini VCI with Techstream and it will be the first reader I have ever owned. Anyway what I really would like to know before I purchase is the one I am looking at on Ebay says that it is a mini VCI J2534 OEM will this one work for my 2006 Prius?

Sorry if it seems like I am highjacking this thread but I saw it and I am also in need of an ODBII reader that will work on my Prius.

Thanks in advance for your help to those who reply

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes that is the model I have and covers almost anything on the Prius. It will also do emissions related problems on most vehicles with the same OBD socket in the vehicle.

John (Britprius)

06_PriusDriver likes this.
  15. 06_PriusDriver

06_PriusDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is great thank you John for your reply.

16. dani1166

dani1166 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The same thing with the battery draining happened to me today and it was very hot. Not sure if the heat was at fault but I also heard a strong fan like sound coming out of the vents on the side of the back seats. And it took roughly 15 minutes to go from the lowest pink bar charge just up one more to the second one. I'm concerned my hybrid battery is losing is charge hold capabilities

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you still under warranty there? if so, get it checked out before it runs out.

18. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Heat is the enemy of battery longevity. The battery cooling fan running audibly is an indication that the battery is overheating. The battery charge control won't allow any current in until it cools down again. Make sure your battery fan is clean (instructions on this site and youtube) and use the A/C, as that is what keeps the battery air intake cool. Avoid parking in the sun, and use heat reflectors in the windows. The premature battery failures that are posted on this site seem to originate more from hot climates.

19. dani1166

dani1166 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess for now I'll just keep an eye on it. If I have anymore issues I'll take it to the dealer. The hv battery should still be under warranty. It's only 7 years old. Warranty is covered until it's 8 years

20. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you haven't done so, you can register your Prius @ Toyota. Once you do that you can see when the car went into service. A 2007 model could well have gone into service in 2006, which would mean the warranty will expire this year.

Toyota Owners Official Web Site: Service Coupons, Owner's Manuals, Service Scheduling And More