1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you drive 100+ miles in EV (no charging)?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 3PriusMike, Jul 8, 2013.

1. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Of course, physics says you can. Just park at the top of a hill and coast on down. But geology and road builders don't provide us with such a nice outdoor lab to run the experiment. This past weekend I may have found such a place.

I drove from the SF Bay area to Yosemite, to Mammoth Lakes and back. The downhill stretch from Tioga pass (~10,000 ft) to Lee Vining (~6800 ft) let me regen about 10 miles (14.1 was my last full charge 3 days before). In Mammoth I also did quite a bit of regen, so that I only needed to use gas on one of many trips per day.

On the return trip I got 25 mpg from Mammoth to Tioga pass...not bad for such a steep uphill drive Going west, down from the pass I made several stops (5 hrs for a hike, etc.) After a few miles I realized I should try to see how far I could go with EV mode only. Mistakenly, I tried to use up lots of EV miles knowing there was a long downhill (maybe bigger than Tioga Pass to Lee Vining) at the far west side of Yosemite, so I tried (and failed) repeatedly to get my battery near empty. I cycled between 2 and 7 EV miles several times and up to 10-11 miles twice. I wasn't going slow either...having plenty of power to pass on hills at well over the 45 mph (NPS suggested?) limit on the hills and curves of hwy 120. It was 80-100F so the A/C was on continuously in the last 3/4th of the trip.

At ~75 miles past Tioga pass (near Groveland on hwy 120) I had to use gas once for about 20-30 seconds. Previously my battery had only topped out at only ~11 miles...so I should have tried and save EV miles. Also, I had to stop for a few minutes for one-way traffic (bridge repair) with the A/C on at around mile 70. So if I'd planned to do this experiment, I could have easily had enough battery charge to get past this. Once I got up that small hill it was mostly downhill into Groveland and I got to ~90 miles with 5 EV miles left. At this point I switched to HV because the hwy around Don Pedro was 65 mph with holiday returning traffic.

a. Can't do this in a regular Prius...sure it is a drop of ~9000 ft, but there are many uphill sections inbetween that far exceed the small regular hybrid battery (not enough capacity to regen the downhill and not enough capacity to go up the uphill).
    b. My total round trip was 551 miles, 63 mpg (with one 3 kwh charge at the start)
    c. I've done similar trips with a 2001, 2004 and 2010 Prius. I got around 45 mpg to 52 mpg in those models
    d. Anyone know of any other location where a PiP can possibly go 100 miles in EV starting with a empty battery?
    e. If I'd started in Mammoth or Lee Vining with a full charge (instead of near empty) I could have gone the last 5-7 miles uphill to Tioga Pass in EV, then 90+ more miles...certainly getting 100+ continuous miles in EV.
    f. Anyone done this in a Volt, Leaf or other EV/PHEV?

Mike

2. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Mountains/big hills and the PiP is a great combo. I don't know about other areas with 100+ miles EV only, but for us Californians, just about anywhere through the Sierra Nevada and even the costal range, the regeneration benefits of the PiP are awesome. I have not tried to eke out a strategy for 100+ miles, but have probably done 40+ miles inadvertently down from Tahoe and Sequoia. The cooler mountain air (for battery longevity) and slower mountain road speeds (for efficiency) are probably favorable too.

Yeah, would be great to hear form Volt, Leafers, others on this.

3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Top of Rocky Mt. Nat. Park to Empire Colorado. Just might do the trick also! Not sure, but about 80+ miles down hill!

4. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So, everybody's under the illusion that going down mountainside gives you 100 miles of EV? Taking a regular ICE in neutral achieves the same result. You still only get 11 miles of true EV in a PIP.

5. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think one of 3PriusMike's points was that it's not simply a straight downhill glide. There are lots of ups on the overall way down that not even a regular PiP has enough regen to get over in only EV. A regular ICE would not be able to do it in neutral. That can potentially add up to much more than 11 miles true EV.

6. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    One should add that this is why his total round trip mileage was much better than even in his prior non-PiP Prii.

7. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you run ICE with the engine off then no gas is used. Thus "EV" :D

8. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Understand, but that only works until you get to the first trough on you way downhill, then you are stuck and have to push your car up to the next point to glide if you want to keep the engine off.

9. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't think it's possible to shove more EV into a 4KW battery than what it's capacity can handle

10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You are right, but you use some of that going up the small hills on the way down, then regen back even more down the next leg. This is all lost on ICE vehicles and mostly on the non PiP Prii.

11. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    And by "small hills" I mean some uphill sections that use up a great portion of a fully regenerated battery.

12. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You still only have a 4kw EV capacity no more, no less.

13. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Respectfully, this is not the same thing as saying "everybody's under the illusion that going down mountainside gives you 100 miles of EV...you still get 11 miles of true EV in a PiP". That is not true in the scenario 3PriusMike describes. If you can regenerate multiple times on the way down without using gas or plugging in, you can absolutely get 100+ miles of true EV and can use way more than 4kW total from the battery. Just because the battery only hold that much at once does not negate his argument.

14. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    true, but not at the same time you are using 4KW. the battery capacity is 4KW so 100+ miles will not "fit" into a 4KW battery.:D

15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Agree, but that does not seem to be the argument the OP was making. The point is compelling that one can theoretically get 100+ true EV miles in the PiP.:)

16. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    depends on your definition of "true EV"

17. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just to clarify a bit.

If you built a 100 mile long ramp, perfectly flat, but sloping down, any hybrid or EV could coast down this with no gas without any problem. And any car (technically) could turn off the engine and shift to N and go down it too. But there are NO such roads that I know of that are this long. On the Tioga road (hwy 120) there are many significant uphill segments on the downhill direction. One or two are at least 500-1000 ft. There are many of several 100 ft uphill. A regular Prius cannot get up these without using gas, even after the battery got fully charged just seconds before on a long downhill.

In my case, I drove for 2+ hours with the gas engine off. Did I do it with one charge of the battery from the wall? No. Did I do it with one charge of the battery from downhill regen? No. It was down, down, up, down, down, up, down, up, down, up, etc in one long connected sequence.

Mike

18. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The key words down down "up" down down "up" down "up" down "up" ....see? not at the same time, you are discharging the battery then regenerating, so, not 100+ true EV:p

19. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, the original post made it very clear that it was not at the same time - that was a big point. A very reasonable definition of "true EV" would include gain in miles attributable to the PiP EV/regen system alone. To see that it is "true EV", look at his round trip length - 551 miles at 63 mpg. He notes that even in prior non-PiP Prii, he got 45-52 mpg on similar trips. If my math is correct, that looks like 96-157 miles of this improvement came from the PiP's EV/regen system recapturing otherwise lost potential energy on the down down up down down up... Again, the OP said from the beginning that it didn't come at once - that was his point, and he restated it. No one is claiming the battery hold more than ~4 kWh.:)

20. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well...ok then:)