1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you drive too little?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by RobGet, Mar 8, 2017.

1. RobGet

RobGet New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello!

I was having my 65K Maint. done on the car (Yes, it was quite frequently driven but maint was kept near perfectly) and I had a friend with me who was looking at buying the car as I no longer need the vehicle. I stepped away as we were dropping it at the Toyota dealership and she talked with the mechanic/employee.

They implied to her that a hybrid would be a "bad" car for her because she will not drive it enough and she will ruin the Hybrid battery and have to replace it (which post 100K/8 years warranty, would be quite expensive). They indicated that the Prius would preform best being driven 20K+ miles per year. This came as news to me as we were leaving as I know quite a few people living in urban areas who own a Prius and drive 3-10K miles per year (she estimates she'll drive about 5K). Is there any significant truth to this statement regarding the Hybrid battery? Most everything seems to imply that battery should go the long haul (generally).

I do know there are regular issues with the little "car" battery needing to be replaces and being drained quickly while shut off, but when I picked up the car I clarified that he did mean the Hybrid battery.

Any thoughts? I'm also concerned because if I do retain the vehicle it will be driven probably near only 2K a year if that (and while I don't mind trickle charging the car battery I do mind having a dead Prius!)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    yes. but the hybrid battery will be fine. the 12v can suffer, if you don't drive often enough. 5k a year is fine for a prius, but doesn't make a lot of sense unless you really want one.

kc5dlo likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Get a 12v trickle charger AND what's called a grid charger for HV battery.

WilDavis and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suspect the dealer is hoping to sell her another car.

kc5dlo, RRxing and lumpy95 like this.
  5. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought my 2013 Prius model 3 new in Aug. 2013 and I only have 11,500 miles on it so as you can see I don't drive it much. The Hybrid battery is just fine but I just had to replace the 12v battery because I don't drive it enough and now I keep a Battery Tender on it during the week.

bisco likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    20,000 miles a year? That's a lot! I drive 20,000 km a year and it still works out for me. (Granted, our gas prices are higher than yours, even higher than California... currently sitting at just under $4/gal factoring 75¢ to the CAD)

Ideally you want to be driving maybe 10,000 miles a year? As long as the battery gets regularly used. It can sit in storage for two weeks (as long as the battery charge is near 6 bars before parking it and not siting at 2 bars)

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Pearl saw about 7000 km per year and still has no problems. Pearl S gets 5000 km per year and has yet to show any problems. The traction battery will last -longer- with low miles. It "wears" from time -and- use. Cut down on either and it will be better.
    Unlike a lead-acid battery NiMH won't degrade if left unused. It will -slowly- discharge, but it takes more than 6 months of no use to cause worry.

However, to actually -pay- a Prius should see around 20,000 km per year or more. The more it sees, the better the economics. You have to cover the alleged "hybrid penalty" (a bogus "alternate fact"). ;)
    Some of us just like the technology.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    However.......they juuuuuuuust happen to have a bunch of non-hybrids that they would be very happy to make you and/or your friend a good deal on?

This is either a case of incompetence or sleaziness.
    I wouldn't have to know which one to avoid this dealership with extreme prejudice.

If you cycle the car enough to put 5,000 miles a year on it, then there's no reason to suspect that the car wouldn't thrive under those conditions.
    How many hypercommutters out there would absolutely LOVE to get their mitts on a 10 year old G3 with 50,000 miles on the odometer in a few years???

Unfortunately, there is one inconvenient truth out there for the 5k/yr driver.
    Priuses are more expensive than some other non-hybrids.
    Prius owners do not like to hear this, and when it comes up then out come the long knives and bar graphs and pages and pages of options and package comparisons but at the end of the day you simply cannot build a hybrid for the same price as a non-hybrid.

So....if I were a very low mileage driver I would lean away from hybrids and new cars altogether but not for any other reason than I would not be logging enough miles to justify the expense.

CR94 likes this.
  9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When gas prices were $2.50 in CA, I bought my Prius. I figured it would take 100,000 miles to make up for the premium over a regular less expensive vehicle. Whether I drive 5000 miles a year or 20,000 miles doesn't matter. As long as I keep the car past 100,000 miles I'll save money over the regular car.

So the dealer can be right 20,000+ a year will save a lot of money. 5000 miles a year not so much and in my case not at all as I don't plan to keep the car 20 years. But consider I was going to buy a Versa which is half the Prius cost. If a shopper was comparing a Camry and a Prius, then there is no premium. They cost the same so even if they drive 1 mile a year, a Prius would save money over a Camry. It all depends on what the other car is.

The hybrid battery won't be ruined though if driven 5000 or even 2000 miles a year. The key is any car, hybrid or otherwise needs to be driven regularly to keep the fluids moving, boil off any water that may have condensed, keep tires from flattening, keep brakes from rusting, etc, etc.

My rule of thumb has always been to drive the car up to operating temperature every two weeks. I recall my PiP manual stating to fill up half a tank of gas every 6 months. So the lower limit for driving per year is one tank of gas or 500 miles or 10 miles every 2 weeks. Take that with a grain of salt.

#9 mmmodem, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  10. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I drive 22k miles a year ;) its our work horse prius :LOL:

Tideland Prius and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We're working at it: maybe 6000~7000 kilometers a year now. We do occasionaly have a good drive, from North Coquitlam to Downtown Vancouver, or over to the North Shore. The car will sometimes sit 3~4 days; I've gotten into the habit of keeping a CTEK plugged in constantly. Once it's done charging it's ok to be left on, just trickle charges.

12. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    however, the HV battery will die at about 12 years of age (i'm guessing) and the owner will benefit little from hybrid with so few miles on the spent battery.

13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is an opinion I don't share given the plethora of Prius older than 2005 still on the road on its originally battery including my own. But if you believe the HV battery will die at about 12 years, then agreed, OP wouldn't benefit much from a hybrid.