1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you please take a look at these spark plugs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cdgreg, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi everyone - 2007 Prius in NYS with around 175,000 miles and the hybrid battery was replaced around 155,000. I recently noticed she is burning oil, probably around 1.5 quarts per 5,000 miles. From some quick research that seems fairly common knowing that at least 100,000 of those were interstate miles going roughly 70-75MPH. Anyways, today I had the oil changed, replaced the spark plugs which I believe are original, replaced the pcv valve and air filter. I am going to see if any of that makes a difference to the oil burn.

For those of you that know much, much, much more than me, can you please take a close look at the spark plug pics and let me know if you see anything that I should worry about? I shook the old PCV valve and I can hear it moving around/clicking.

Thank you!
    1.JPG 2.JPG IMG_8513.JPG IMG_8514.JPG

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if they're original, i think they look pretty good. but i probably don't know much more than you.:)

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They look good no oil on them just a little fluffy crap. The Pintles look worn
    As usual..
    Very high quality plug there. No concerns there just time for replacement.

Take good look at the COP coil on plug. Pull on the rubber that surrounds the plug and see how dried out it is. Reports of misfires from cracked boots leaking voltage to ground after re-use.
    Cop is a replacement item. I would replace them with the plugs if your chasing a misfire.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Same as bisco, novice spark plug reader. :)

Are my eyes playing tricks or is one missing a bit of the ceramic? Not bad though; they're all survivors.

upload_2017-1-28_16-21-27.png

5. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hah, about all I know is to ask to keep the old part, and then post the question here :)

I took a close look, optical illusion based on some gunk on the ceramic.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated!

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The old plugs look pretty good.

1.5 quarts per 5K miles should be considered normal oil consumption with that odometer reading. My 2004 has 230K miles and similar oil consumption. Just keep the oil level up and you'll be fine.