1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you replace your own brakes and if so, how

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by reor, Jan 5, 2011.

1. reor

reor New Member

I have a 2006 and thinking about changing it's shoes and pads. I'm wondering if it's different than other cars and what all is involved. Mine has 71000 on it and I'm hearing a slight grinding noise. Thanks

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I do not know what the procedure would be, I would bet sombody's going to tell you!
    If you decide to do it yourself, take a few pics and let the rest of us see what you did.
    It could make interesting reading!

Thanks[​IMG]

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not being a search for it Nazi, I don't remember the details or who posted it. It's been covered before on PC, you should be able to find it with a search. As I recall is was a reasonable DIY job but there were a couple of simple things you had to do or you would screw your brakes up. It had to do with making sure the brake system didn't apply the brakes while the calipers were of the disk.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My understanding is that bleeding the brakes is not a shade tree project, but if you can change pads/drums without needing to bleed the brakes, it can be a DIY project.

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi reor,

Are you in a mountainous area? Prius brakes usually last 125 K miles for us flat-landers, and coastal people.

If you are also in a flat area, the grinding may be due to brake disk corrosion, and may be able to be machined away, without replacing the pads, or even disassembly the pads (with one of those clamp-on brake rotor lathes).

6. jdchappie

jdchappie JD on RR2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Here's that link. Pull two relays and pump till it squeals. Save a trip to the dealer.

I made it 98000 miles on the front brakes on a mail route with some pad left.
    That would be 450-500 full stops a day.

To check the pads, take off a wheel and look in the center hole in the caliper. You can see the rotor and both pads easily.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ing/87594-brakes-replacement.html#post1225912

Good luck, Jerry

7. reor

reor New Member

Thanks everyone for great info.