1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you swap Gen 2 Battery Cells into a Gen 3?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Evan Schweda, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Evan Schweda

Evan Schweda New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a Gen 3 2010 Five and about 120k miles on it. I just ran across a totaled 2008 about an hour from me that he is parting out. He replaced the battery with Toyota OEM about 2 years ago and 30k miles. I was thinking about buying that off him and swapping it in for my battery. Nothing inherently wrong with my Battery now.

From some light searching it seems like you can swap the cells into the Gen 3 housing because the Gen 2 housing won't be a direct fit. I knew nothing about working on cars prior to buying my Gen 3 two months ago. Since then I have watched Youtube and went through removing the Intake Manifold and EGR Cooler and cleaning both as well as changing Spark Plugs and all fluids on the car. My confidence is boosted and I just want to get a pulse check on:
    1. Is this more work than I may want to do?
    2. If you were in my situation with 120k on the original battery, would you consider this?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They are nearly identical modules. Very good idea to swap in the newer battery modules. You can sell the used 2010 modules back in the Gen 2 case.