1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you tow a Prius without tow hooks?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by onree, Feb 4, 2007.

1. onree

onree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm very interested in adding a receiver hitch to my new 2007 Prius, mostly for use with a bike rack. I've pretty much settled on the updated Curt Hitch (of course, I'll take recommendations for alternatives). However, I notice that in order to install the hitch, the tow hooks have to be removed. So my question is -- how easy is it to tow the Prius (hopefully never needed, but you never know) without the tow hooks?

2. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onree @ Feb 4 2007, 05:19 PM) [snapback]385295[/snapback]</div>
    The manual describes exactly how the Prius "must" be towed. I wouldn't deviate from that.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the tow hooks that they describe are actually the tie down hooks used to anchor the car to the deck of the ocean going car carriers that bring them to NA.

4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've added the curt hitch to my car. Since it is mounted using the tie down hook bolts, I'd expect that you could use the hitch bar as a tie down point in the rear of the car.