1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you use non-HID lights on a HID-equipped Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bookrats, Mar 25, 2004.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Question: the Prius I have on order is a #7 package, and comes with the HID lights. Thanks to Danny and Bob Allen, I am now morally and spiritually OK with having HID lights on my car (i.e., I Will Not Blind Others).

However, a question: if for some reason (cost or ???) that I didn't want the HID lights, could I use "normal" halogen, non-HID lights in this particular Prius? Or are #7s and the like "wired" for HID?

Danke in advance!

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nope, at least not in my experience. The HIDs use a different amount of power and have far more wiring involved than your standard Halogen lamp.

Also, I highly doubt the bulbs are the same size, so they probably wouldn't fit in the ballast.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to mention the halogens would explode the moment you powered them on if you did manage to plug them into the ballast. More likely, you'd receive a headlamp warning light from the headlight control system on your display.

HID lamps work in a different method than halogen/incandescents.

Incandescents heats a tungsten fillament within a vacum (or at least a space void of oxygen) so that it becomes white hot and produces light as a byproduct of intense heat. Not very efficent, as most of the energy used is converted to heat, not light energy. These function just fine on 12-14v and connect directly to the electrical system.

HID lamps, by contrast, use a 17-20,000 volt burst of electricity at startup to start a gas reaction within two electrodes within a pressurized bulb of mercury or other gas. Once a reaction has started, the voltage is reduced to somewhere around 80 volts, and a very miniscule amount of current (compared to incandescent bulbs) is required to keep the reaction going. Because of the intelligence and voltage requirements, a ballast is required to step up the voltage and control the reaction so that the bulb lights, but doesn't burst shortly after startup.

The Prius HID system uses a different bulb/reflector assembly and wiring harness as well. The HID bulb operates at a single brightness. A movable reflector affects the upper cutoff of the beam in that it is able to move out of the way for high beam functionality, and move back in place for low-beam. We also have an auto-leveling servo which controls the height of the beam relative to the height of the rear of the car. The HID system reads a signal from the rear VSC height sensor in order to prevent blindage of oncoming drivers when a heavy load is present. Of course, this is provided that the "default" height is adjusted correctly as a "baseline".

hope this helps,
    -Rick

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Rick, that is the best explanation of the HID components I've ever seen.

Thank you so much for your expertise.

5. boa8

boa8 New Member

I agree with Danny (for a change) it's a great explanation, Rick!

What's also important is that HID draws significantly less power. I can not quantify this but quite certain about it.

My personal pain is that HID lights (for some [un]wise reason) are not available here in Europe.
    I'm too much accustomed to it during last 8 years or so.

How much it would cost and which parts ## I should buy to convert halogen into HID lights, Rick?

I will really appreciate your help in this respect.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :lol:
    :wink:

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thanks, gents! Much obliged!