1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canada - Credit on US import

Discussion in 'Prius Tax Credit Discussion' started by mrnice, May 7, 2007.

1. mrnice

mrnice New Member

I have read the posted rules for both the Ontario and Federal credits and can not find a reason why I would not get the rebates.

Does anyone have any insight or personal experience?

From my readings the Federal rebate is contingent on purchasing a new qualifying vehicle. The Provincial credit requires the vehicle be registered in Ontario, and since it is based on tax paid which I will still pay when importing I don't see why I would not qualify.

The cost savings without the credits are worth the run around. If I get the credits it is beyond a good deal.

I have searched various forums, rfd etc for more info on importing Toyota's. From what I have found it seems that some areas do not deal with Canadians, but if I find one the warranty will be honoured.

Again, any insight appreciated.

Thanks

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrnice @ May 7 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]436765[/snapback]</div>
    Will you have a problem registering the car once you get it home? The big difference (I think) is that the US does not have daytime running lights. There might be other stuff missing that will need to be added.

3. mrnice

mrnice New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ May 7 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]437189[/snapback]</div>
    The only thing I need to do to US Prius is add DRL's. Once this is completed I can register the car.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you get the credit. At least you do in BC when you import. There's a few PCers in BC with US cars.

5. sayryan

sayryan New Member

Let me know if you get more info, I am interested in the same thing. They charge you the federal guzzler surcharge if you bring in one of the cars that needs that, so in theory the credit should apply as well.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wouldn't that be nice? Cause the TCH here doesn't have the Energy Monitor/Consumption Screen. In the US, it comes with the navigation system but then the nav in the US is only US$1,100 while up here it's Cdn$2,9xx and NO Energy Monitor.

Makes you wonder, why bother?

7. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I didn't pay any PST for my imported Prius.
    Regarding the Canadian Fed Rebate:
    The criteria at the moment seem to be (as quoted from the guv'mint website):

"To receive your ecoAUTO rebate, you must:

* Provide a photocopy of your sales or long-term lease (for 12 months or more) agreement, along with the Vehicle Identification Number.
    * Provide proof of provincial vehicle registration.

More details about the rebate application process will be posted in the coming months."

So it doesn't seem to matter where you buy the car. I'm thinking the rebate will be a GST refund? Hoping its the full 2k though.

8. cyrus69

cyrus69 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbitrage @ May 17 2007, 11:44 PM) [snapback]444702[/snapback]</div>
    I think it's just a straight rebate, nothing to do with the GST, unlike the provincial one. If you have a trade-in, you can end up losing part of the PST rebate, since you only pay on the amount minus your trade in. You end up paying no PST, but it's less than what you would have gotten off without a trade

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbitrage @ May 17 2007, 11:44 PM) [snapback]444702[/snapback]</div>
    How does that work? Isn't the PST more than $2,000?

10. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 20 2007, 07:59 PM) [snapback]446395[/snapback]</div>
    No, i squeaked in just under (duty/gst/pst calculated based on US price*exchange rate).

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbitrage @ May 22 2007, 12:12 AM) [snapback]447195[/snapback]</div>
    ohhh is that how it works?

then what about the GST Fed rebate then? Do we still get $2,000 back or is it the full refund (assuming that PST is under $2k so GST is probably under $2k too)

Edit: Oops, you already said it up there. Keep us posted with regards to the GST rebate! Thx

12. jdsmith

jdsmith New Member

i just imported my Prius into Canada today at Victoria, they dinged me with a
    6.1 % duty in addition to the 6.0 % GST.
    anyone else have to pay this 6.1 % duty?

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdsmith @ May 22 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]447869[/snapback]</div>
    6.1% duty applies to all vehicles not made in the US or Mexico.

14. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdsmith @ May 22 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]447869[/snapback]</div>
    I looked briefly into importing because Canadian prices seemed extreme given the exchange rate at the time, etc. But I was discouraged by the daunting hoop jumping.

I ended up getting a well-cared for used one instead which worked well for me as I avoided $10,000 worth of depreciation.

Was it difficult? It sounds like you weren't expecting the duty. Would you do it again if you could do it over?

How did you learn what needed to be done to make this process happen?

15. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fibb222 @ May 23 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]448379[/snapback]</div>
    The registrar of imported vehicles, http://riv.ca is a great place to get started with your info. It actually has all the info needed. There's also lots of relatively accurate info on google.
    The hardest part for me was getting to the back border by 3:30pm (when the US export office out west here closes) :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 23 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]448358[/snapback]</div>
    or Canada!

As an extra kick in the nuts, gst is charged on the duty.

How many dealers were willing to sell to you jdsmith? I assume you got yours in WA?

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbitrage @ May 23 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]448753[/snapback]</div>
    lol... just deal in the morning so you'll be back by the afternoon? or is really that far a drive?

yeesh. So PST isn't charged and but GST and Duty is at the border right?

17. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 23 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]448832[/snapback]</div>
    heh, i left a bit late in the morning because of uncertainty about a wire transfer (the dealer hadnt received the money yet). Heavy traffic on the way back can also be a problem. Leaving an hour earlier would have made for a smoother trip.

This should probably be in the import thread but..

To sum up for taxes and fees (all these fees are charged by Canada, export out of US is free):
    Duty = 6.1% at border (on US purchase price x exchange rate on day of import)
    GST = 6% at border (ditto on US price x exchange)
    Air Cond Fee = $100 CND at border
    Riv (import) Fee = ~$200 CND at border
    PST = did not have to pay this, I hear this is normally paid, on Non-hybrids, at time of insurance purchase.

Fed Rebate = waiting for the government to get their paperwork in order and hoping i'm eligible

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbitrage @ May 24 2007, 12:24 PM) [snapback]449270[/snapback]</div>
    Ahh... I'll remember to enable traffic on the nav system to route around the problem areas. haha.

That's quite a bit lol. All on credit card or what? I assume they don't accept cheque and I don't know how custom feels about paying thousands of dollars in cash :lol: . I know I'd feel uncomfortable.

19. vkykam

vkykam New Member

PST: Rates depending on province. Rebate available in a few provinces, such as Ontario. In Ontario, it's rebate of PST up to $2000. When you title the car (not when you cross the border, but after RIV inspection and you get the Ontario plates on the car), you pay the PST at time of registration, and you get a refund cheque in the mail after mailing in the PST rebate application. 4-6 weeks in my experience based on my Insight and Prius purchase last year.

Federal: I may be wrong, but no rebates on imported vehicles AFAIK. The rebates are done at the dealer level, and not at the consumer level. When you import a car, even if you purchase it new in the US, it's considered used.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well we're waiting for abitrage to come back with an update regarding the Fed Rebate.