1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canada Gets The Touring Edition!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a branch from the "2008s are up on the toyota site" but with Canadian content. I'll gather all the information from sarge and Prius 07

Here's what we have for 2008:

Special Edition - $29,500
    Special Edition Premium - $32,530
    Special Edition Premium w/ Nav - $35,280

New Standard Equipment
    - Front Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
    - Side Curtain Airbags
    - Foglights
    - P195/55R16 Touring Wheels
    - Extended Spoiler (Type B )
    - Electrochromatic Auto-Dimming Mirror
    - Homelink
    - Toyota Theft Deterrent System

Packages
    Premium Package
    Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Premium JBL Audio System with 9 speakers, AM/FM/MP3/WMA and 6-CD Autochanger, Auxuliary Audio Jack, Bluetooth Wireless Connectivity, Backup Camera, Smart Key System (SKS)

Premium Package w/ Nav
    Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Premium JBL Audio System with 9 speakers, AM/FM/MP3/WMA and 6-CD Autochanger, Auxuliary Audio Jack, Bluetooth Wireless Connectivity, Backup Camera, Smart Key System (SKS), DVD-Based Navigation System

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It looks like the sport-tuned suspension is standard now. Nice! And the prices are lower!

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a lot lower... It almost matches the US one (minus leather and HIDs).

4. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

Now i'm thinking i should have waited before buying my car and wait and see what the rest of the market is doing. This has been a really busy year soo far for green cars with many new choices coming out lately to battle the prius for it's top spot.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Guess I should have mentioned to all that they should wait until I purchased mine. After all, everything I buy drops in price and has better options -after- I buy it. ;)

All in all, I don't think I need a stiffer suspension or larger wheels (or a bigger spoiler). Neat that they finally split out the backup camera. Don't think I really need one though. But I would have purchased a touring if it was available. Heck, who am I kidding. I purchased the only Prius available in Edmonton in May that wasn't Silver. I would have purchased whatever was available in a touring.

See my posting in "Racing Prius - what is the top speed" for my evaluation of Pearl's handling. Quick condensation - I think she handles just fine thankyou. In stock condition as new complete with the "so called" garbage Goodyear Integrities.

6. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    about Fing time they match the prices with the US dollar, our dollar KICKS nice person NOW.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but to be honest, the Touring wheels (or rather wheel covers) look better than the standard ones. You do lose a few mpgs though.

8. HolyPotato

HolyPotato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, about time they dropped the prices! Good to see they also made the airbags standard.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And we don't get Spectra Blue Mica <_<....

Here's a poll question:

Would you rather have side/side curtain airbags standard or VSC?

10. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 6 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]508049[/snapback]</div>
    Interestingly, there is some inconsistencies in the Toyota.ca site... the web still shows the car has 185/65/15 tires on the specs page and still shows side/curtain airbags as "Optional". (Interestingly, they do not seem to be listed under the "Options" packages anymore, which appears to be copied from the brochure).

Canadian specs
    Canadian Option packages

However, looking at the brochure, it clearly says 195/55/16 tires and standard airbags. I wonder which is correct? :huh:

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The option packages were updated because of the name change (special edition premium etc etc) which leads me to think that they left the specs as is.

Also a news article on CanadianDriver confirms the extra equipment.

12. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 6 2007, 08:41 PM) [snapback]508346[/snapback]</div>
    At the time I was buying my Prius, I would've liked to have side-air bags standard, since that was a big reason to get the B package due to the nature of my car accident. Having experienced VSC many times now, I would choose VSC over side-air bags, without question. VSC would help to prevent accidents, not to lessen the injury of one.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True true. VSC would help avoid it in the first place but side-impact airbags are for side impact collisions and unless you were going to skid and slam into a pole/tree sideways, I'm not sure how else VSC helps if another car will t-bone you (esp. since the Prius fairs poorly without VSC).

VSC has saved me three times already.

14. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 7 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]508576[/snapback]</div>
    That's exactly what I was going to say. :lol:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 7 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]508576[/snapback]</div>
    In all honesty, my 3yr/60KM warranty will be up next week and I have yet to invoke the VSC. I think I heard it beep once as I intentionally took a corner very harshly, but it was such a brief moment I couldn't really say it had any effect. I meant to thoroughly test it out in a parking lot last winter, but it was a pretty weak winter here and never really had the opportunity...

15. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 8 2007, 01:37 AM) [snapback]508563[/snapback]</div>
    The offical announcement from Toyota Canada can be found at this link
    http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive...7/06/c5706.html

16. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BAGS over VSC anyday, if one knows how to handle their car manually on the TRACK and on the ROAD i believe it just gets into the way of a person who actually KNOWS how to handle their car.

For the rest, i'm sure VSC shall fair for them, but for me I make no mistakes, I rather have insurance for other people's mistakes (airbags)

plus VSC is just more expensive than bags, as well if it breaks, more $ to fix.

and in my HUMBLE HUMBLE opinion VSC on a FF car is JOKES, on a RWD car I'd understand, but c'mon man... its front wheel drive for god's sake... understeer heaven.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Sep 7 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]508609[/snapback]</div>
    Why don't you try some west coast slush? :p One of the incidents was actually on a damp road. Shows you how s***** the stock tyres are.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AussieOwner @ Sep 7 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]508832[/snapback]</div>
    nice. Odd that an Aussie can find Canadian news more easily than a Canadian. :lol:

18. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 8 2007, 02:50 AM) [snapback]508982[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah... we've had a very dry summer here, but when it finally rained the other day, I quickly realized how weak the stock Integrities are when someone cut me off and had to hit the brakes and the ABS kicked in, and I was not even pressing that hard. Of course, I now have approx 40K KM on these tires already, so they are probably 50% or so done already.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Sep 8 2007, 09:58 AM) [snapback]509101[/snapback]</div>
    I have 58,000km on 3 of them (one got replaced due to an irrepairable puncture) and they're almost gone... oye.

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The prices are still high compared to US market, but now I REALLY feel we're getting ripped off