1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canadian 2010 with 4300k HIDs installed

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by moner, Aug 21, 2009.

1. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just finished installing my 4300k HID upgrade, does it ever look better! $110 CAD for the kit with shipping off of Ebay. It was almost worryingly easy to install, well except for the positive and negative feeds to the factory harness being backwards... This kit relies on the harness from the halogen bulb connectors for it's power to run the ballasts. I'm not exactly sure it's a good idea to be surging HID power through the factory wiring but it seems to work great.
    Unplug and remove old halogen low beam bulb, plug HID connector into car's headlight plug, and secure ballasts. Repeat on other side. Too easy?
    It's amazing how much brighter they are now; street signs light up from a mile away. I've attached a few pictures, one shows the car with one low beam still halogen for comparison. I haven't gotten around to securing them permanently yet, just ty-wrapped in place for now.
    When I get a chance I'll try to take a video or two of them in action. :)

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  2. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nicely done!
    I too love how the street signs come alive with HID lighting. :)
    I like the halogen/HID comparison pic!

I also wonder about using the factory wiring... the fact that you don't have a dedicated fuse for your HID kit does worry me a little bit, but maybe it shouldn't.
    I'm not an electrician and admit that I don't know much about all that stuff... but I hope that the kit serves you many nights of illuminated driving. :)

3. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same thought about if it was safe to use factory wiring without a fuse for the HIDs. The wiring to the new lights is 18 AWG and the factory plug's wires look much smaller in size. The ballasts have a maximum current rating of 10 Amps and they don't blow the car's 10 Amp low beam fuses so I'm hoping I won't have any problems. Although your kit had just a little more labour I still would've preferred to use your safer fused way. Yours is independent of the factory harness for ballast power and only uses the old halogen harness as a sense point to turn on the relay. Oh well, it works, I probably won't burn up he car. I have a friend using the same type of HID kit as mine in his Lexus and it's worked fine. Fingers crossed. :)

4. pfreeus

pfreeus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unless the HID kit would need a fuse with a lower AMP than what the car has for the factory wiring, I don't think you'll have any problems. If you are concerned, maybe put in a fuse in the kit portion of the wiring harness.

For your lights moner, how long does it take for the lights to "warm up" to give maximum lighting?

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mr Pfreeus, I don't know what forums you frequent, but around here, it's not considered gentlemanly to ask a lady how long it takes for her headlights to turn on. B)

6. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hahaha! My headlights turn on pretty fast, only about 5 seconds or so. In all seriousness though, I'm not sure the exact timing, but I'll take a video of them warming up when when I get back home on Sunday. I'm in a dark little town right now, should give some good opportunities for videos of the HIDs without the ambient lighting of the city. ;)

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol

If you're worried, mobilehid does sell a harness on its own. Great pics! Thanks! Time to order mine!

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My apologies, Miss Moaner, it seems I have completely misjudged your character. Here I've been naively defending your honour, having no idea you were involved in such wicked, wanton shenanigans. :p
    You got proofs already? Mods have all the luck. Filming doesn't even start until Sunday. :rolleyes:

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure you truly, deeply meant to say Miss Moaner, right? LOL... oh boy <ducks>

Ya... sneak previews... what can you say?

anyone up for a meet btw?

10. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know when you sign up for a forum, never thinking that you'll ever actually post anything on it so you don't bother thinking about your choice in username? Well I decided to use my childhood nickname, based off my first name, and I'm thinking now I should have put more thought into it? Oh well, too late to change it now, you all know me as Moaner now, hehe.
    If we could organize enough people for a meet I should be able to show up. I'm not the most personable of people but I sure do like them Prii! :) What's all this filming talk anyway?

11. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh, come on.
    You seem incredibly intelligent and friendly.
    AND you like Faith No More!!! :)

I've always wanted to visit Vancouver. I hear it is very nice.
    I have a couple friends in the Seattle area that I've been meaning to visit for years... another place I'd like to check out.

12. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I don't have to wake up and get going before noon I can be alright I guess, but dayshift does not agree with me. I most certainly do have excellent taste in music though, and cars. :D
    You're a ways away from Vancouver in New Orleans but it would be an excellent roadtrip for ya, West is Best! Seattle is a sweet spot too.
    Anyway, back home from my trip now. I'll try to get some more headlight pics/vids up this weekend.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least it's original... unlike mine. I came up with that in 5 mins cause I couldn't think of anything else.

lol... the last time we had a meet, only 5 cars showed up (It was in Diablo Dam, WA). I'm guessing it'll be the same (me, you, Bruce, Rae Vynn and maybe Radon)

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be worried too many people would show up. Have you seen all the Priuses in Vancouver? :rolleyes:

I'm all for coffee or even a picnic with twenty or so of my closest friends, say in Lynn Canyon or Stanley Park, but a major do of 300 would be a bit much.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck trying to get 300 owners :D (it's not a challenge so please don't get 300 owners lol. i'm not gonna organise anything that large).

Sounds like a plan. Should we start a new thread? lol

16. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely start a new thread. There seem to be enough people posting from the Vancouver area, should be able to get more than 2 people to show up. :) It'd make a good photo op!

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Done. Invite other Prius owners from BC/WA/OR!

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But you said you didn't want 300 people. ;)

19. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn, I need to take a trip up there now....to ride my snowboard, of course...

20. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, sorry but no, "Moaner" is not involved in any filming... Snowboarding yes, but I'm nowhere near good enough that anyone would want to tape that. :p

Yep, definitely should have chosen a different username!